Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Casual Gaming" Strikes Again?

1. Thumbs Down

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So Activision is the new EA? Great, we needed a new company designed to be as boring as humanly possible while cluttering the racks with nothing but retread blockbuster tedium.
    See, its crap like this.....casual gamers that are just brought in from the wii have no idea that they could honestly be getting great titles.....better made titles but they settle for mundane "push buttan-recieve win" games. They very likely will leave the market when they realize that they have been playing "time wasters" and will go back to drinking and watching TV or something.

EDIT: I know that this is a no brainer but I had to vent.
    Last edited by Gymkata; 29 Jul 2008 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I hear Balrog's moveset includes the Fried Chicken Right Cross, The Watermelon Wipeout Punch, and the Welfare Blaster.
    I SWEAR IF YOU BITCH ABOUT TWINSTICKS I WILL BREAK MY FOOT OFF IN YOUR ASS

Truly, Activision has blown for a while now.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Interestingly enough, the star power might have been the problem. I was talking about this with a friend who told me that Jack Black had a major falling out with Activision during the Kung Fu Panda thing, which is why his voice wasn't in the game.
    Huh. Fancy that.

I wonder what happened...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Bishamon View Post
    The same with THQ. Unless I'm the only one that actually liked Day of Reckoning...
    Saint's Row 2, the new Red Faction, Dawn of War II, Darksiders, de Blob... THQ actually has a pretty strong lineup lately.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Someone needs to be, since I think EA is finally done being EA.
    I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. After this E3 The Evil Empire of EA is pretty well over. They'd been slowly getting better for years and now they've finally hit breakout territory and are a company worth paying attention to.

And I just knew someone was going to try to blame this on the Wii.

James

6. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I probably should have mentioned that in my original post. After this E3 The Evil Empire of EA is pretty well over. They'd been slowly getting better for years and now they've finally hit breakout territory and are a company worth paying attention to.
    Yeah, I think it must have been when Probst left. I remember they made some statement about needing to give studios more creative control and I rolled my eyes at the time, but they actually backed it up.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    rather than creating the new franchises of tomorrow
    Using...Chronicles of Riddick and Ghostbusters? Since when were those new franchises?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Yes. Activision is the new EA. EA is the new...what is the new EA?
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

9. Tim Schafer gave a cryptic response on the double fine website to the flood of questions regarding the status of Brutal Legend.

http://www.doublefine.com/news.php/s...e_information/

Mouse over the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Activision is my least favorite publisher. Nothing they've done outside of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 has been any good. All of their games have stupid glitchy shit in them and dumb stuff like time challenges (I fucking hate time challenges). Anybody who's played Spiderman The Movie Game for the original Xbox knows what I'm talking about.
    I looove the time trials Spider-Man 2. It's a shame no subsequent Spider-Man title has been decent. Activision has some other pretty good stuff, though. I presume you either have no taste or forgot about Call of Duty 4. Radical Entertainment can be good on occasion, too. I really like Hulk: Ultimate Destruction but Scarface is a boring and uninspired GTA clone. Hopefully Prototype turns out well - it looks like Hulk:UD on steroids.

Too bad that...
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So Activision is the new EA? Great, we needed a new company designed to be as boring as humanly possible while cluttering the racks with nothing but retread blockbuster tedium.
    Whatever new franchises they haven't cancelled will probably be the last truly interesting games from Activision for quite some time. I bet they're going to head into late-90s/early-00s EA territory with annual franchise milking and nothing new and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronChance View Post
    Saint's Row 2, the new Red Faction, Dawn of War II, Darksiders, de Blob... THQ actually has a pretty strong lineup lately.
    You missed Deadly Creatures and Baja. I think THQ is really trying to escape their reputation as a C-grade publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Using...Chronicles of Riddick and Ghostbusters? Since when were those new franchises?
    I was talking about the warmed-over Spyro and Crash franchises.