Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell Me Why I Don't Want This - Dell Studio Hybrid

1. Tell Me Why I Don't Want This - Dell Studio Hybrid

I've been wanting something low-profile for my living room to hook up to my TV (my huge video file collection, emulators, etc.), and being an Apple fan, of course I've been eying the Mac Mini. My problem with it was that I'm just not happy with what you get for the price.

Dell's new desktop hardware "Studio Hybrid." (Config page here.)

A machine that even an Apple fan can find sexy, the exact mixture of ports that I'm looking for, 3.5" internal drive (meaning upgrades will be cheaper), and starting at $100 less than a Mac Mini. And, I mean, that bamboo model! Completely hot.

Upsides? Built-in HDMI, which is nice, more USB ports, including two on the front (nicer for working with controllers), and even with bamboo tax I'd be coming in just a bit over the base Mac Mini model while being far happier with what I end up with hardware wise.

Downsides? Bamboo version is $130 more. (UGH!!) I'd have to pay $30 more for a version of Vista that has Media Center, and then would have to find a remote control of some sort (standard with the Mini).

So... why do I not want one of these? And don't tell me "because you could build a better tower for less," because I don't want some stupid ugly tower sitting next to my TV in the living room.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio-hybrid-02.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	39015   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio-hybrid-03.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	39016   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio-hybrid-07.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	39017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	studio-hybrid-10.jpg 
Views:	834 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	39018  

WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Oh, hey, and questions.

Anybody use the Vista version of Media Center? Can I like load it up with codecs and have it play everything under the sun? Can it handle subtitle files? DVD rips?

Also, anybody know how (if any) support for PS3 controllers on Windows is? I have the wireless Xbox 360 controller dongle, so that would be one quick controller solution, but I'd like to have something with a d-pad that isn't dogshit.

3. get a Shuttle imo

4. I don't use media center because it's flashier than what I need. I pretty much just use WMP 11 for mp3 play back and most video files (since my 360 is linked to it too, I don't need to mess with anything else). I use VLC for everything else because for some reason there are some video codecs that WMP it just doesn't like and can't get the codec to work right for (VLC also jumps right to the main menu of a DVD which is sweet).

No idea about PS3 controller support, I'd imagine someone has written drivers for it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    get a Shuttle imo
    You mean those things that look like a poorly designed and proportioned GameCube?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    I don't use media center because it's flashier than what I need. I pretty much just use WMP 11 for mp3 play back and most video files (since my 360 is linked to it too, I don't need to mess with anything else). I use VLC for everything else because for some reason there are some video codecs that WMP it just doesn't like and can't get the codec to work right for (VLC also jumps right to the main menu of a DVD which is sweet).
    This will be primarily and almost specifically used as an "entertainment box" hooked to a TV, so the less file system interaction I can get away with, the better. I really don't want there to be any moments where I have to use anything other than a remote control.

6. Why don't you just get one of those NAS enclosures with media playback capabilities?
    They cost well under $100, you can put any size HDD you want in it, and they play just about any format you could ever want.

7. Because I've yet to find one that can "play just about any format you could ever want." Every one I've seen has always been missing something. Plus, they can't run any actual software, which I'd like to do. (So I don't have to break out my old consoles just to play a game of Pocky & Rocky or Herzog Zwei.)

8. I've barely touched the Media Center so I can't confirm how well it works. Since it is based on using WMP, I think it's safe to say it'll give you some file codec douchebaggery.

9. You may not want to get one yet until the Vista Media Center update "Fuji" comes out. It may or may not finally make it the bees knees.