Page 1 of 9 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian Bus Rides Are Rich and Fulfilling

1. Canadian Bus Rides Are Rich and Fulfilling

Cnn.com

(CNN) -- A 40-year-old man was charged with second-degree murder Friday in connection with the stabbing and beheading death of his seatmate on a Greyhound Canada bus, authorities said.

Vince Weiguang Li of Edmonton, Alberta, was to appear Friday morning in the Provincial Court of Manitoba in Portage la Prairie, according to a statement posted on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Web site.

The body of the 22-year-old male victim is to be autopsied Friday, police said. The victim's name was not released.

However, the Canadian Press named the dead man as Tim McLean, 22, of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

McLean was repeatedly stabbed and then decapitated by the man sitting next to him on a Greyhound Canada bus Thursday west of Portage la Prairie in Manitoba.

Garnet Caton, who was sitting in front of McLean, talked of a "bloodcurdling scream" when the attack began.

"It was like something between a dog howling and a baby crying, I guess you could say," Caton said. "I don't think it will leave me for a while."

Passengers exited the bus, and a trucker who stopped provided wrenches and crowbars to several of them so they could keep the suspect on the bus until police came, witnesses told Canadian TV.

The suspect was seized with the help of negotiators, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sgt. Steve Colwell said.

Several media outlets named McLean and said he had been returning home after working on a booth at an Alberta fair.

William Caron, 23, of Winnipeg, told Canadian Press he had known McLean since they went to school together.

"I knew he was coming back from the [exhibition]. ... My brother was supposed to go meet him at the bus depot and he never showed up. And then my younger brother and my other brother went to go to his parents' place to see if they know anything, and they saw a bunch of news people there. And then they asked at his parents' and that's how we found out," Caron said.

By early Friday there were scores of condolence messages on Facebook groups set up to remember McLean.

Caron and his wife, Jodi, were among the first to leave notes.

"We love you so much," wrote Jodi. "The kids will miss you so much and so will William and I. You were a great person, always happy and loved and had an amazing personality."

"I can't believe this is happening," wrote Leah Dryburgh of Winnipeg. "Tim, you were the best guy ever. You didn't deserve this at all."

Witnesses on the bus said McLean had been sleeping with his head leaning against the window when the attack happened.

Colwell said there was no immediate indication of what prompted the attack. He said he didn't know how many times the victim was stabbed. Witnesses described the weapon as a large butcher-type knife.

Colwell praised the "extraordinary" level-headedness and bravery of the bus driver and passengers.

"What you saw and what you experienced would shake the most seasoned police officer. And yet I'm told that each of you acted swiftly, calmly and bravely," Colwell said. "As a result, no one else was injured."

The bus was traveling along the Trans-Canada Highway from Edmonton to Winnipeg, and was about 45 minutes from its destination when the attack occurred, Greyhound spokeswoman Abby Wambaugh said in Dallas, Texas.

Caton told the AP that the attacker didn't sit near the victim when he first got on the bus, about an hour before the attack.

"He sat in the front at first; everything was normal," Caton said. "We went to the next stop, and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting. He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal."

Half an hour later, the attack began, Caton told the AP. "There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."
    Last edited by BerringerX; 01 Aug 2008 at 10:55 AM.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

I heard about this last night. wtf.

3. it happened in winnipeg, so chances are pretty high that dude was wacked out of his mind on meth

edit: plus it was fucking greyhound, that's 2 for 2
    Last edited by cka; 01 Aug 2008 at 10:50 AM.

4. I just took a Greyhound to NYC last week. Scary shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

5. Yikes.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Quote Originally Posted by K3V View Post
    I just took a Greyhound to NYC last week. Scary shit.
    Not as scary as the NYC<->Boston Chinatown busses. At least the Greyhounds generally make it in one piece.

7. No one on the entire bus thought to stop him after the first 2 or 3 stabs? They let him go all the way to decapitation? They just walked off?

This is how you know this happened in Canada and not Texas.

8. Seriously fucked up story.

This also makes me very happy that I didn't take a Greyhound to CT like I had been planning earlier. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Nomi; 01 Aug 2008 at 12:12 PM.

9. more and more stories are surfacing about people being hurt and nobody stepping up to defend them (or even ask if they are ok)... not sure I would wanna get between a guy with a hunting knife and his victim (doubt most of you would either) but it does say a lot about the world today and the humans that roam it.

FUCKED UP.
    Last edited by Jason; 01 Aug 2008 at 12:16 PM.

10. A friend sent this to me early this morning. Funny thing is, a friend of mine was once threatened with beheading by a crazy, old lady on a Greyhound bus once. Now I'm actually worried.