Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman

1. Batman

So I've been big into Batman since the Dark knight came out, I've read all the trades. I thought year one, dark victory, killing joke etc are great. But what I'm interested in more is the none trade stuff, as there is a lot of bat man and a lot of crap. So I'm asking for a path trhough the muck, Since there are literally hundreds of issues. So what are some runs from detective comics or other batman books that I should read?

Only thing i can think of is Dark Knight Returns and Dark Knight Strikes Again.
    Also the series Superman/Batman is very good. I really like it.

3. The current Batman RIP run is great and is very reminiscent of the movie. Mind you, you have to pick up the other Grant Morrison run ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison's wiki

• Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (with Dave McKean, DC, graphic novel, 1989)
    • Gothic (with Klaus Janson, in Legends of the Dark Knight #6-10, April - June 1990, tpb, 1998)
    • Batman & Son (tpb, 200 pages, hardcover, August 2007, softcover, July 2008, collects:
      • "Batman and Son" (with Andy Kubert, 4 issues, Batman #655-658, 2006)
      • "The Clown at Midnight" (with John Van Fleet, Batman #663)
      • "Three Ghosts of Batman" (with Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang, Batman #664-665, April-May, 2007)
      • "Numbers of the Beast" (with Andy Kubert and Jesse Delperdang, Batman #666, July 2007)

• The Black Glove (176 pages, hardcover, September 2008, collects:
      • "The Island of Mister Mayhew" (with J.H. Williams III and Dave Stewart, Batman #667-669, August-September 2007)
      • "Space Medicine" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #672, February 2008)
      • "Joe Chill in Hell" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #673, March 2008)
      • "Batman Dies at Dawn" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #674, April 2008)
      • "The Fiend With Nine Eyes" (with Ryan Benjamin, Batman #675, May 2008)

• "The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul" (with Tony Daniel, Batman #670-671, October-November 2007, collected in Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, 256 pages, May 7, 2008)
    • "Batman R.I.P." (with Tony Daniel, Batman #676-679, June 2008 - August 2008, tpb, hardcover, 192 pages, January 2009)
    Hush is another great one.

Identity Crisis a non-batman book was a great Batman story.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. What was the series that had the more muscular version of the Joker? I'm pretty sure Miller had a hand in it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    So I've been big into Batman since the Dark knight came out, I've read all the trades.
    What did that run you, a couple thousand dollars? There are hundreds of seperate Batman trades floating around.

I really really liked Arkham Asylum: Living Hell, superb art and fun story. I also just read Gotham Central: Half a Life, and that was very good. Neither of those actually feature Batman in any more than a few panels, of course.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    What did that run you, a couple thousand dollars?
    That or a few hours of d/l ing...

7. I really liked the Moench/Kelly issues of Batman after the whole Bane thing, but I haven't looked at them since they were current (15/16 years ago?); so who knows how they have held up.
    Peter Milligan had some decent stuff in Detective.
    I haven't paid attention to the Bat books for quite a while, but I will state that almost 100% of the time, any Bat related one shots/mini series were head and shoulders above the monthlies in quality.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate (who thinks I'm rude :cry: )
    Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth (with Dave McKean, DC, graphic novel, 1989)
    Oh, shit! I need to get this at some point.

9. The Arkham series was indeed great, if for the art alone. Was Gotham central the one that had the police taking down Freeze and the firebug? I really enjoyed that one. I'll sart wiki checking these names to see if I can find their runs.
    There are hundreds of seperate Batman trades floating around.
    It would be more apt to say I've read all the major trades, and also SSJN is correct.
    Last edited by Rem; 06 Aug 2008 at 11:00 PM.

10. I can say in certainty that there is a torrent floating around with Batman 1 to 650.