Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: YellerDog's Drawing School For Gentlemen #1

1. I like this thread. I might try my hand tonight. Or am I too late?

2. Nah man, all week!

Point here is to critique everybody else's stuff once you post and revise as needed.

Whoop!
    Last edited by YellerDog; 06 Aug 2008 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Everybody keep drawin', I'll get something up when I get home from the cartoon factory tonight!

Kick ass, everybody who's posted so far! I'll break out the red-pen once I've posted. This is a great start!

Awesome!
    Last edited by YellerDog; 06 Aug 2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: could a mod sticky this thread plz?

Advocate, I'm no pro (obviously, lol) but I would suggest increasing the scale a bit. You can never draw too big. Having the subject go off the page suggests that you chose which details to emphasize, and therefore, make most important.

I'll probably have another go in a few days once I'm done with all my exams.

5. This is a neat idea. I'll try my hand at it soon.

6. I know I drew the lamp too low. I still need to fill in the empty areas. Oh and I need pencils.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch2.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	39240  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Great stuff so far, fellas!

QUICK LUNCHTIME CRITIQUE (more detailed tonight):

TONES
    Good start, sir! I like that you're going in and addressing the negative space right off the bat.

It looks like you're kind of getting the hang of using the brush, you're doing a lot of "scrubbing" and running out of ink very quickly. Try this: load your brush, and try to draw with your wrist locked. Move from the elbow and the shoulder. You'll get a very easy, very smooth line out of it with very little effort. Practicing a lot will give you a lot of finesse with this, it won't come immediately, but soon you'll be knocking out sumi-e style lines on-demand.

FINCH
    Dig it! I like the fishlips, very Bogarty. I like that you dove right in and tackled the whole composition at once.

Focusing on the hat troubles for the moment, consider the shape and construction of the hat, and how it sits on his head. The "crown" of the hat is a little smaller at the top than it is at the bottom, but it should be just about the same size as his head.

ADVOCATE
    Second verse, better than the first! I like that you're drawing bigger already. Same thing I said to Finch about the hat, be careful about the shape of the brim. Right now it's looking like Gilligan's hat instead of Sam Spade's fedora. Not having a pencil might be doing you a favor at the moment, it's forcing you to make decisions and stick with 'em. Try drawing a close-up of just his face, don't worry about all the background stuff. Focus on getting that expression down, start thinking about the proportions on the face.

Good job everybody! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Great stuff so far, fellas!

QUICK LUNCHTIME CRITIQUE (more detailed tonight):

TONES
    Good start, sir! I like that you're going in and addressing the negative space right off the bat.

It looks like you're kind of getting the hang of using the brush, you're doing a lot of "scrubbing" and running out of ink very quickly. Try this: load your brush, and try to draw with your wrist locked. Move from the elbow and the shoulder. You'll get a very easy, very smooth line out of it with very little effort. Practicing a lot will give you a lot of finesse with this, it won't come immediately, but soon you'll be knocking out sumi-e style lines on-demand.
    Thanks for the feedback! For my next revision I'll try these techniques. Where the brush was low on ink, I was trying to achieve midtone values. Maybe using a smaller brush and hatching would work better? Also, I think I have an 11 x 17 sketchpad around here somewhere; I'll see if I can find it.

9. Hell, consider getting a cup of water and dilluting it down with some ink, try using a grey wash for your midtone values. Try and make sure you don't drench your paper, give it time to dry between inking and wash.

Stylistically there's a jillion different ways you can use ink, and just as many combinations of methods. Try to pick something comfortable, y'know?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    PLEASE OR I'LL START BOMBING YOUR TNLSPACE PAGE WITH RALPH BAKSHI AND WAKING LIFE CLIPS.
    I shall try I have a ton of storyboarding and other things to do this week before Siggraph though. :O
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.