Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: YellerDog's Drawing School For Gentlemen #1

1. DRAW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Given what I have to work with, this is as close as I'll ever get.

Click for full size
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 06 Aug 2008 at 04:16 PM.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

3. You don't have hands? That's unfortunate.

4. MRWHITEFOLKS
    Ok, well, let's take a look at what we got here. Nice aproximation! (I invited Whitefolks to Gmod his way into the thread as an experiment)

Your Bogey Engineer needs to be sitting back into the seat a bit more, look at the original picture. He's relaxed. His arm's resting on the edge of the table. Maybe you could balance a pipe-bomb on Mr. Engineer's shoulder to stand-in for the phone? Pull the foreground elements closer to the camera, maybe do the same with the hand reaching in? Mind those angles.

5. So first I was going to make his hat a boat, then I decided I didn't feel like drawing a phone but I really wanted to draw a camel. Then I realized I should've thought ahead, and made his hat a boat and people getting off it and walking down gangplanks along his arm to get on the camels and ride off. Maybe if I decide to draw this again, but the pen pretty much locks me into what I have. Damn me sketching at work, I guess.

One of the things that interested me the most about this shot is how he's sitting at an angle, which makes his hat appear perfectly straight on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bogarts.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	39245  

6. Stylish! I like the camel!

Best hat yet.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    MRWHITEFOLKS
    Ok, well, let's take a look at what we got here. Nice aproximation! (I invited Whitefolks to Gmod his way into the thread as an experiment)

Your Bogey Engineer needs to be sitting back into the seat a bit more, look at the original picture. He's relaxed. His arm's resting on the edge of the table. Maybe you could balance a pipe-bomb on Mr. Engineer's shoulder to stand-in for the phone? Pull the foreground elements closer to the camera, maybe do the same with the hand reaching in? Mind those angles.
    Ah, Gmod and it's restrictive nature (ie: an example in how pen/paper give you far more freedom)...

Since I don't have control over the chair/table, it all relies on me trying to "push" the model into a solid object (as unlike spawnable props, I cannot instigate "no clip" for these objects), which explains the Engineer's poster issue. The table itself is HUGE (far larger than the shot with Bogey), to the point where I deleted everything from the Spy OTHER than his arm (thus allowing me to sneak it into the frame). The objects on the edge of the table are actually almost falling off, but the zoom style I used is more "fish-eye" in how it makes the objects have different distances from each other(this also makes the Engineer's furthest hand away look as if it's resting on the edge of the table, instead of lying on it).

Positioning/Perspective can make or break an image, and herein it shows what little things can do to your work(by itself it's fine, but comparing it to the original Bogey - not so much).

I'm sure with pen/paper it'd probably be a lot easier to recreate this image to a far more accurate scale, especially since I'd have the ability to place things exactly where I want - but unlike the pen, GMod forces some restrictions on the user that you have to fist fight with, lol.

Lastly, "mind the angles" doesn't tell me anything, so I'll need an example as to what to look out for so that I can incorporate it into my next work/project/etc.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 06 Aug 2008 at 07:17 PM.

8. If you can't pose the guy how you want to pose him, what'sthefuckingpoint?

Sounds to me like you should start learning Blender or Maya.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 06 Aug 2008 at 08:51 PM.

9. Cause you gotta power through and attempt to churn out something rad. That's half the fun (figuring out how to make the bodies work for you, and if they don't - using bullshit ways to make it look "good" by manipulation). This, (just like anything else artistic) isn't perfect and you gotta make good on what you work with (but knowing the limitations and working WITH them [or attempting to work around/through them]).

So, you were supposed to reply about the angles I needed to mind and I'm still sitting here with no references or examples.
    Last edited by MrWhitefolks; 06 Aug 2008 at 09:43 PM.

10. I can dig that.

Sorry, been running errands tonight. Working on my sketch at the moment.

I'll post ya something up in a sec!