Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: YellerDog's Drawing School For Gentlemen #1

1. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    the hat is great! i think you should put more background into it!
    I will. I had no time. I had to leave around 7:30 and my internet was down til 7:00.

2. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    To da moon, Alice!

Whitefolks: What I am saying, is look at the elements of the original composition, and how they relate to one another. Block out the original, look at things like the angle he's sitting at, or the direction that arm is coming in from. Your job in this exercise, is to match those elements as close as you can. Analyze and approximate. Everybody drawing can play a little fast and loose with this, but since you're "cheating", you're getting a different assignment.

Click for full size

Quick and dirty look at either composition.
    So my assignment is to copy the exact proportions/elements of the shot as closely as possible then? I think I may have a way to make that work - use GMod in windowed mode at a smaller resolution [ie: 800x600] and keep a copy of the image open to use as a reference (I was going completely by memory with that shot I did). Then when I'm ready I can blow the resolution of the game back up, add the appropriate filters and save the shot.
    XBL Gamertag = XMrWhitefolksX

3. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    i should probably do both and not dick around on the internet all night
    The internet is the doublest edgiest of swordington ever. I feel your pain. Twice.

4. Quote Originally Posted by MrWhitefolks View Post
    So my assignment is to copy the exact proportions/elements of the shot as closely as possible then? I think I may have a way to make that work - use GMod in windowed mode at a smaller resolution [ie: 800x600] and keep a copy of the image open to use as a reference (I was going completely by memory with that shot I did). Then when I'm ready I can blow the resolution of the game back up, add the appropriate filters and save the shot.
    Awesome! Do it!

Here's my rough! Starting to get it blocked in, next iteneration will lose the 'tard hands and start to get some background going.
    Click for full size

Why is the background green? Because when drawing on a computer, bright white light gets really obnoxious to stare at! I'll flop it back over to black and white for the final.

I'm not really happy with the likeness yet, I'll take another hack at it tonight. Bogart's got a weird face to draw! We'll have to have a pretty girl for the next Drawing School, I think.

Tonight I'll step back and try a slightly more caractature-y approach.

(I miss my scanner... I'd rather be drawing in my sketchbook than the Wacom tablet at home, but gotta use the resources at hand!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nBOGEY.jpg 
Views:	532 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	39249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nBOGEY2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	695.5 KB 
ID:	39250  
    Last edited by YellerDog; 07 Aug 2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: plus super-super rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    PLEASE OR I'LL START BOMBING YOUR TNLSPACE PAGE WITH RALPH BAKSHI AND WAKING LIFE CLIPS.

i think you're going too black in his face, Tones. I like the idea of strong shadow and light, but there isn't nearly as much shadow on his face as you put there. hat looks very nice.
    a hint of the background might make it really stand out.

Click for full size

): i hope it'll totally look different by the end of next week. i don't like how his hat sits on top of his head instead of on it, and i couldn't get his face right. I HATE STUPID DRAWING. I CAME TO THIS SCHOOL TO PLAY BASEBALL, I QUIT.
    SUP ABE LINCOLN

6. Sup image quote?

?

8. Draw something or get off my plane!

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Draw something or get off my plane!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bananaphone.JPG 
Views:	168 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	39251  

10. Now we're talkin'!