Page 1 of 18 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: YellerDog's Drawing School For Gentlemen #1

1. YellerDog's Drawing School For Gentlemen #1

ALL RIGHT!

This is the first installment of the YellerDog Drawing School For Gentlemen!

Here's the rules: Every week, I'll post up a screen capture or two from a movie, and we'll all set down and draw it! Feel free to exaggerate, push poses, caricature, whatever you want. Black and white? Color? Cartoony? Realistic? Whatever! You pick. Just use the posted image(s) as a basis for the drawing you decide to make! Get your rough sketches up ASAP!

The whole point of this is to give and receive critiques on the drawings! As the pictures go up, feel free to download other folks' drawings and mark 'em up with a red pen if you see things that could use fixing. We'll make a new thread for every one of these, so you can keep re-working an older image as you see fit down the line.

Hopefully, if you're giving good advice, the person being corrected will put that to work! Draw well, and don't take it personally if somebody's critique rips your drawing to shreds. BE COOL. TAKE ADVICE. This will push you to be better! No lame-ass excuses!

By the end of the week, try to get your drawing to a "final" state and we'll put 'em on display on the main board with a poll. What will this poll get 'cha? WHO KNOWS.

WEEK ONE - THE MALTESE FALCON due 8/18/08

This is the first one, so you'll get a couple extra days on the front-end.

Kick ass! Make us proud!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. omg. i completely hope cigs and fury and hero and rezo and nemo and dunlap contribute. IRON PANTS, YOU TOO.
    Donk

3. and andrew. WHO ELSE.
    Donk

4. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    and andrew. WHO ELSE.
    No love for me Finch. Fine I won't play then.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Y-YOU'D BETTER!
    Donk

Me? My 30 minute attempt; ink on sketchbook paper. I cropped it a little in PS because my camera made the image a little skewed (Yes it was the camera's fault, not mine). Some reflections from external light, especially on the hat band: it should be solid black.

Click for full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bananaphone.jpg 
Views:	1246 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	39233  

7. Quote Originally Posted by Finch View Post
    Y-YOU'D BETTER!
    Nope, my heart is broken this week.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. Nope, my heart is broken this week.
    PLEASE OR I'LL START BOMBING YOUR TNLSPACE PAGE WITH RALPH BAKSHI AND WAKING LIFE CLIPS.

i think you're going too black in his face, Tones. I like the idea of strong shadow and light, but there isn't nearly as much shadow on his face as you put there. hat looks very nice.
    a hint of the background might make it really stand out.

Click for full size

): i hope it'll totally look different by the end of next week. i don't like how his hat sits on top of his head instead of on it, and i couldn't get his face right. I HATE STUPID DRAWING. I CAME TO THIS SCHOOL TO PLAY BASEBALL, I QUIT.

Name:	DSC02704.JPG 
Views:	1283 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	39234  
    Donk

Yeah, I realized I overdid it in the shadows, so I said fuckit, I'm going all 1930's Dick Tracey on this.

10. mine. Definitely a sketch. And by pen ... if I had a pencil I would actually draw it.

Click for full size

I'll do better next time. Look at all that empty space ... also I just woke up. Still no excuse.

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	1102 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	39236  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.