Thread: Upgrading PC components

1. Upgrading PC components

I might be upgrading a PC I built a few years ago. If that's the case, I'm gonna need a new CPU, mobo, memory, and maybe even a new PSU. For the CPU, I was thinking the Intel 45nm 2.66 Quad Core, and memory I still know enough about, but I'm not sure to look for in a mobo these days when it comes to north bridge and/or south bridge. I know that nVidia has been having some problems with their chips lately, so if I went with Intel, which north bridge/ south bridge combo should I be looking for? Other than that, I am pretty sure the PSU should still be fine as well as the GPU.

2. A Q6600 for the processor, an IP35 based mobo and a PC Power and Cooling PSU should be around what you'd want.

Nvidia has problems with ONBOARD video chips, mostly in laptops. North and Southbridge are made by Intel.

The Ati 4850 is a GREAT entry level card at $150, with the 4870 as the de-facto for the $280 mark. The 4870x2's (yes, two 4870's on one card with 2 gig of GDDR5 ram) will be out in a week or two in the $500 range. Imagine two or four of those in Crossfire. You'd need a thermonecular plant to power them tho. I always say to get the best single card you can. Crossfire and SLI doesn't work right in every game and the energy and heat payoff usually isn't worth it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    A Q6600 for the processor, an IP35 based mobo and a PC Power and Cooling PSU should be around what you'd want.

Nvidia has problems with ONBOARD video chips, mostly in laptops. North and Southbridge are made by Intel.

The Ati 4850 is a GREAT entry level card at $150, with the 4870 as the de-facto for the $280 mark. The 4870x2's (yes, two 4870's on one card with 2 gig of GDDR5 ram) will be out in a week or two in the $500 range. Imagine two or four of those in Crossfire. You'd need a thermonecular plant to power them tho. I always say to get the best single card you can. Crossfire and SLI doesn't work right in every game and the energy and heat payoff usually isn't worth it.
    Thanks for the CPU and mobo info. It's mainly just going to be used as a secondary computer to run photoshop on and do some printing at home. I think my nVidia 7900gtx should be fine for that purpose, but I would possibly still use the computer for games, so I may end up getting a new card eventually.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ElCapitan View Post
    Thanks for the CPU and mobo info. It's mainly just going to be used as a secondary computer to run photoshop on and do some printing at home. I think my nVidia 7900gtx should be fine for that purpose, but I would possibly still use the computer for games, so I may end up getting a new card eventually.
    The Quad will help with Photoshop. Also get Vista 64 if you want more than 3 gig of ram. Photoshop <3's ram.

7900? If that's AGP you might be sol. I think all IP35 mobo's ace PCI-E.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    The Quad will help with Photoshop. Also get Vista 64 if you want more than 3 gig of ram. Photoshop <3's ram.

7900? If that's AGP you might be sol. I think all IP35 mobo's ace PCI-E.
    No, the 7900gtx is PCI-E for sure. Do they still even make AGP cards? The last AGP card I heard of was the 6300 or something around there.

6. I think Nvidia is done with AGP. The 9000 line may have been their last. Ati has somewhat recent ones in the HD2000(?) series.