Page 11 of 329 FirstFirst ... 79101112131525 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Cooking: TNL!

Cats, I'll probably wait a few weeks before making them. I don't eat sweets very often so I have to wait until I really want them. And orange (or lemon maybe) zest does sound like it will do them well.

This afternoon I made a risotto recipe that a co-worker gave me. It was delicious, but unbelievably rich. The recipe called for a pound of bacon for the one cup of dry rice, but I used half and it seemed adequate. She did admit to being a bacon addict, though. Unfortunately I didn't have any white wine, or anyone that I felt like pestering to buy it for me, so I went without. I think this definitely shorted the flavor a little bit, but that's life.

Icarusfall, do you buy or make the ponzu sauce? Making it seems pretty involved. Could I get it at a Chinese grocer even though it's Japanese?

2. Most Asian markets will carry things not exclusive to their own country. We've got a few around here and they carry Filipino things, Vietnamese packaged goods, etc. That's how I got the Filipino soy sauce I use for the chicken adobo.

3. I just use Kikkoman Ponzu sauce. I bought it at Publix. We make our own at work and it would be a pain in the ass to do just for the mushrooms.
    Boo, Hiss.

Sounds good. I haven't had a steak in months, so next time I make one I'll prepare the mushrooms to accompany it.

I bought about two and a half pounds of cherry tomatoes today. What can I do with them before they go bad?

6. I'm making a peanut-sesame dressing with miran for some soba noodles this sunday. I'll probably cook a chicken breast and pre-bought teriyaki dressing to help round out the meal. I'm starting to really like cooking. I liked it before, too, but now I get excited about making stuff. I don't typically even like asian style food, but this peanut dressing is so fucking warm and satisfying to on pasta. I need to roast some sesame seeds before I blend the emulsify the sauce together. I'll keep some toasted sesame seeds on the side, too, and garnish with them and green onion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    I bought about two and a half pounds of cherry tomatoes today. What can I do with them before they go bad?
    If you get some basil and soft mozzarella you could have a pretty awesome salad going.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 15 Sep 2008 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    I made this recipe before, it was awesome:

http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/reci...es_olives.html

Plus, you can make it using only one sheet pan!

Edit: What can I make with some leftover portabella mushrooms? I already used them in a pan sauce for a steak (which was tasty).
    Last edited by animegirl; 15 Sep 2008 at 07:49 PM.

8. cod blehhhh!

sheet pan good idea tho. roast them with some whole garlic cloves drizzled in olive oil. Use a food processor to add some basil, pine nuts and parmesan chee. Good fresh roasted tomato pesto.

Hmm... that sounds really good. Will it freeze well? I actually just bought a decent sized wedge of parmesan cheese today from The Fresh Market. I have everything except the pine nuts. And the food processor.

10. it will freeze perfectly fine

you don't NEED pine nuts. you can go without i just like it better that way. also you don't need a food processor. you just need something that chops. i've found the best way to make pesto is to use a walnut chopper. the flavors explode and you don't need as much oil. chunkier is better!