Page 17 of 329 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Cooking: TNL!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomi View Post
    Anyone know off-hand what apples are best for pie baking? I know some are a lot softer than others, and I've never baked with them before.
    I have heard that grannies work well.

2. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    seriously?

what I'm talking about it using a lot of imitation shit. I'd rather cook with real butter, real eggs, real lemons, real vanilla. I hate recipes that are all about using vegetable short'n and artificial flavors and the like.
    The Joy of Cooking is the Bible of cooking. It uses real shit, it is updated every so often to incorporate new ingredients, techniques and utensils. Buy the new one. I have it and I refer to it pretty often. Also, you should try the America's Test Kitchen (made by the Cook's Illustrated people) books. I have never had a bad dish from them.
    Last edited by animegirl; 22 Sep 2008 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomi View Post
    Anyone know off-hand what apples are best for pie baking? I know some are a lot softer than others, and I've never baked with them before.
    I use golden delicious. Or granny smith. Pretty much any yellow apple.

BUT, which apple you use, may depend on how much filling the recipe demands. A pie that uses a lot of sugary filling may end up too sweet with golden delicious. And vice/versa.

btw, I know a pretty good recipe if you want to make your own crust.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Like usual you've already made up your mind that all the changes must be bad so go ahead and buy the inferior book.

This is fucking hopeless.
    YOUR FACE IS HOPELESS

Icarus is right. You have a set answer you want when you ask a question, and you keep asking it hoping someone will tell you what you already think is the answer.

If this isn't the case it sure as shit comes across that way.

I guess that is right, considering the only thing I wanted to know was if the recipes used modern or old fashioned ingredients.

So yes, I had a very good idea of what I wanted to know.

BUT I'm gonna buy it now cause animegirl said it made good food. She seems to know whats up

I'll kill you.

8. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    cause animegirl said it made good food. She seems to know whats up
    Not like Icarusfall is a cook or anything.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

9. It's not a matter of buttcheeks having his mind made up, it's the fact that he asks a very vague question with some ass-backwards reasoning behind it, and when everyone is like "wtf do you mean by that?" or "of course not you dolt", he reveals what he actually meant and everyone is like "... why didn't you say that before", ie no one thinks you mean fake bullshit when you say "modern ingredients".

10. Last night at work Travis (a sous chef) burnt the living hell out of some dry chili peppers when he wasn't paying attention to a wok. The resulting smoke from this is basically a weaker pepper spray. (Pepper spray is measured on the scovile scale which is based on the amount of capsaicin in a pepper.) My throat still feels all scorched this morning.
    Boo, Hiss.