Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should I Major In?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rem View Post
    Yeah, because this gets you places.
    Sure does. It's just a different path.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Yeah, Engineering is the most in-demand major. Teachers keep shoving down our throats"Focus on Math and Science!" and the engineering degree has become the cliche degree for the kids better at math.

I've read that although engineering sounds great on paper, there is only so much an increase on your job, so you could get stuck making $80,000 forever. Not that that is a bad thing but I'd bet the majority of Engine majors don't do it for any true interest in the subject but rather this force-fed nonsense about a quick road to financial security. It's my goal to try and stay away from a job I hate, I want to love what I do.
    Thats why although I know I could be good in the buisness world, i'm shying away from a business degree because it just isnt interesting.

Which is more intellectually satisfying and finacially worth it, a Philosophy degree or a Sociology degree?(Lol at 2 worthless degrees, I know).

Btw, thanks again for the good responses.
    Any tips on getting on college apps you guys could throw out there too?
    Last edited by nocturne; 26 Aug 2008 at 08:17 PM.

3. Major in my nuts in your mouth.

There are immediate openings in the field!
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Would you guys say a Philosophy or Sociology degree is more intellectually satisfying and finacially worth it?(Lol at 2 worthless degrees, I know).
    Yes, they could give you intense intellectual satisfaction, provided your interests reside in that realm.

Also, the only "worthless degree" is one from an unaccredited institution (University of the Grand Canyon, etc.). The sad reality of modern life is that your undergrad degree is simply a springboard to your graduate studies. Your Master's will be essential to a comfortable quality of life, and barring some obtuse prerequisites, most programs aren't too concerned with what you studied so much as how you did in that time. (That, and your GRE.)

So take whatever you want to take, enjoy the hell out of it, and do your best to come out of there with as close to a 4.0 as you possibly fucking can.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Why the college hate? I'm an English major and I learn shit every day.
    OMG <3 4EVA
    Scourge:Azumanga Daioh is exactly the same thing as Ninja Scroll.
    buttcheeks: High school so weird

6. Why do you have to ask a internet forum on what you should major in in college? You cant decide for yourself in what you want to do with your future?

Can I make a thread on...what should I eat? when do I poo? when do I take a shower? when do i scratch my nuts?

7. Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Why do you have to ask a internet forum on what you should major in in college? You cant decide for yourself in what you want to do with your future?

Can I make a thread on...what should I eat? when do I poo? when do I take a shower? when do i scratch my nuts?
    It's obvious you never went to college.

It's a hard decision man, and the biggest ive had to make so far.

8. Xbox 360 I

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Major in fucking off.
    We call that majoring in Philosophy.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

lack of advancement in pay for engineering is not completely true. A lot of engineers that wish to make more money go to night school for a MBA. This opens up many management positions that can pay into up six figures. But be warned, you might turn into Biff

10. Just remember that 95% of people don't consider themselves happy or successful, so doing exactly as they do will probably not work out for you. Pick a major you'll enjoy.