Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comcast Introducing Hilarious New Usage Caps

1. Comcast Introducing Hilarious New Usage Caps

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-...CmoreStories.0

Starting October 1 customers of Comcast's residential data services will have an invisible barrier on their monthly data usage. Under the new guidelines of Comcast's Acceptable Use Policy announced Thursday, that cap will be set at 250 gigabytes per month, per account.

Users who go over the limit will get a courtesy call from Comcast's customer service for the first instance. However, under the new policy a second-time offense means the service is immediately suspended for an entire calendar year.

Comcast notes that the median usage for most residential customers falls somewhere between 2GB and 3GB, a number that is regularly broken within a matter of hours and sometimes minutes by customers taking advantage of streaming HD video and online backup services. The company breaks down basic usage numbers similar to what's seen on the marketing materials on a consumer hard drive:

* Send 50 million e-mails (at 0.05KB/e-mail)
    * Download 62,500 songs (at 4MB/song)
    * Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2GB/movie)
    * Upload 25,000 high-resolution digital photos (at 10MB/photo)
    it's not a bad cap (fucking sympatico here has 60GB/month) but it's a cap nonetheless and lol at blocking the service for an entire year if you go over it twice

2. There needs to be more choices in the broadband market. Comcast starts pulling this bullshit and you can't switch your service to someone else because they're the only ones in the area offering broadband. That's how it is around where I live, and it sucks.

That being said, it is a pretty generous amount of usage.
    -Mullet Jockey-
    Check out my site!
    Eat. Sleep. Music.

3. Hellooooo Verizon FiOS

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Hellooooo Verizon FiOS
    I need to look into that. The cable company is outrageous, and I really don't watch enough TV to justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. Correction: I thought you were talking about something wireless. Never mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. A cap is stupid bullshit regardless on if its a high one or not.

Fucking turn you off for a year *LOL*
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Hellooooo Verizon FiOS
    You do know the deal right? And deal as in between Comcast and FIOS.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

8. Comcast is one company I'd love to see burn in this next fiscal year. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.

9. They'll be at the top until they get some decent competition.

Doesn't mean they don't suck at what they do, though.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Comcast is one company I'd love to see burn in this next fiscal year. Worst customer service I have ever experienced.
    Working as a CSR ... I can tell you the phone people suck. But the people at your local office do not. The one thing I learned from that place is ... if you need something done? Go to your local office and talk to them personally.

Also, like all telecommunications ... nothing is competition. I mean like I said in referance to Frog. Verizon and Comcast made a deal.

Verizon can get the Comcast infastructure, if Comcast gets Verizon's. So, Verizon now has FIOS and Comcast has a phone company. And low and behold Verizon has the Comcast Sportsnet channel. Weird, that Comcast didn't allow Direct TV or Dish.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.