Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games

1. God, I forgot we had a GOG thread or I would have posted the news in here.

Frog, how would you rate the two games that were released after UAKM?

And yeah, GOG is probably my favorite digital download site. The service is practically perfect. Easy to use, guaranteed XP and Vista compatibility, a bunch of extras for each game, useful forums, NO DRM IN ANY WAY, etc. It just needs a better selection.
    Last edited by epmode; 16 Jun 2009 at 05:20 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    God, I forgot we had a GOG thread or I would have posted the news in here.

Frog, how would you rate the two games that were released after UAKM?
    Pandora Directive: Really freaking good. Not as funny as UAKM, but better story, multiple endings, and stronger puzzle design. Arguably better than UAKM but I always favor the game with the better jokes.

Tex Murphy: Overseer: A solid sequel (actually a remake of Mean Streets done in the style of UAKM/PD), made on a very tight development schedule (9 months), using unproven DVD-ROM technology (it was the first DVD game) which resulted in a game with major technical flaws. I'm looking forward to the GOG release because I hope they'll address this and maybe get it working properly on modern machines, which is not easy.

3. Also: UAKM comes with a soundtrack! And they're pretty decent renders, too!

4. Just installed. Seems identical to the DOSBox version I've been playing over the last few weeks. No problems at all.

BTW Frog, I mentioned this in the other thread but I actually finished UAKM the night before this was announced. Kinda freaked me out when I saw the ad in my mailbox this morning.

It's a great game and I'm glad I followed your recommendation. I miss this genre so much.

5. It really annoys me how every game released using DOSBox has the game configured for the worst music card possible. Luckily UAKM is one of the few from that era that lets you configure the music devices in-game, so it's easy to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    Arguably better than UAKM but I always favor the game with the better jokes.
    Yeah, the humour does go a long way to making UAKM the more charming game. Pandora Directive is still a fine game, though, and must play if you enjoyed UAKM.

7. If I can tag this with some slightly off topic rumor mongering:

When I was at E3, I met with Telltale and we talked about Tex Murphy, and they seemed to be high on their radar. Not just the classic games, but Chris and Aaron, Big Finish Games, Three Cards to Midnight... they were clearly watching and following all these goings on. So I did a little digging, and apparently Telltale also posted some UAKM scan on their twitter for no reason. Very interesting indeed. I also found a (not well sourced and potentially bullshit) claim that someone from Telltale straight up admitted that there were talks.

That's a really compelling partnership. I sort of doubt Big Finish has a lot of resources to put into a new game, so if they were intimately involved with whatever Telltale does I think it makes a lot of sense. Especially since the old games were kind of episodic to begin with.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 Jun 2009 at 06:28 PM.

8. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/tex_m...dora_directive

Pandora is out. As has been said before, it's not as comedy-oriented as UAKM, but it's larger, has better puzzles, multiple endings, and an arguably better story.

9. Oh man, I forgot about this thread again.

I bought this and played through the first few minutes. I was surprised that the acting is noticably better than UAKM. ..which isn't saying much at all, but there you go.

I'm really excited to go through it over the long weekend.

I'm a little concerned about the two different game modes though. I don't like being time constrained in adventure games. At all. I figured I'd go with the regular mode but then I'd apparently be missing out on addional locations and puzzles. Any suggestions?

10. Go for the harder mode. You can downgrade to the easier mode at any time, but the inverse is not true. The timers are on like... bomb-defusing puzzles and shit like that. The bigger deal is that you can't get hints, but if you really want to, you can save, switch to easy, get a hint, and load.