Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    You need an hour commute to work in your life.
    ARGH NO.

I listen to BS Report, Gamers With Jobs, the Lowe Post, and some NPR stuff.

2. I listen to "How Did This Get Made?" and the "Stuff You Should Know" history podcast.

I listen to Retronauts when driving around and smoke comes out of my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    no, no one needs that.

An hour commute means you waste 4 days of your life, a year
    I used to be on the bus for an hour when I worked at Hopkins. I used the time to listen to podcasts or sleep. It ruled.

5. I sometimes listen to the Cracked podcast, but I find the poor editing (you can hear the audio "stitching") distracting. If you can't edit it properly, don't edit it at all.

6. I listen to so many because I sit in an office drawing all day. I don't get overwhelmed by the amount of content as I find most of it is pretty disposable ("hey we're just having a conversation NBD!")

I think Idle Thumbs and Comedy Bang Bang are the only ones I listen to every week. A lot of the comedy/interview ones are great to just throw on whenever.

7. I listen to way too many podcasts. I'm starting to think I have a problem.

Current list o' commute/work entertainment:

This American Life: No explanation Needed

Radio Lab: Like this American life, but a bit more science-focused and conversational.

Anime World Order: Less fanboy bullshit, more Japanese cartoons. Daryl Surat rants are second-to-none.

Fast Karate for the Gentleman: Two guys from Philly/NYC talk about games (usually focusing on your difficult, Japanese action games and Monster Hunter), "bad" anime and 24. These guys are FUNNY. Honestly, it's a pretty big, weekly highlight for me.

Jordan, Jesse GO!: A pair of buddies, an NPR host and a comedy writer, join a guest and make a bunch of goofy, vulgar jokes. I'll basically listen to anything Jesse Thorn or Jordan Morris are involved in. Classy folks.

My Brother, My Brother And Me: Three brothers give goofy advice to listeners and Yahoo Answers posters that never asked for it. These brothers have some insane chemistry and make it very difficult for me to work without laughing at the office.

Stop Podcasting Yourself: Friendly, Canadian humor.

99% Invisible: Roman Mars delivers short stories about design and architecture. Really insightful.

The Indoor Kids: A gaming podcast with comedians. No know-it-all nerds! Who cares if they misstep a fact every now and then?

Bullseye with Jesse Thorn: A pop-culture interview show. Nobody gives an interview like Jesse Thorn.

Roderick on the Line: If you check out anything I recommend, make it this one. Productivity maven Merlin Mann and indie rocker/philosopher John Roderick discuss ideas and concepts for the betterment of mankind. Included concepts are digging trail, bad music, seeking the fast path to becoming a retired, army colonel and SuperTrain.

Back to Work: Also with Merlin Mann. He and Jon Benjamin talk productivity without sounding really douchey. They sure do talk about comics a lot, though.

Sawbones: Justin McElroy (from My Brother, My Brother and Me and Polygon) and his wife, Dr. Sydnee McElroy explore old-timey cures that are now understood to be nonsense and make fun of them.

Comedy Bang Bang: No explanation needed. I don't know why I only started listening lately.

Design Matters with Debbie Milman: If you like graphic design, you'll love this podcast. Great discussions within.

There are more, believe it or not! I occasionally dip into The Moth, Risk!, International Waters, The Dead Authors Podcast, The Thrilling Adventure Hour, Superego and The Pod F. Tompkast (when it updates). No wonder I'm a month behind in my listening...

8. If you like AWO and Fast Karate, check out Geek Nights. It's a lot like Fast Karate, but a little more structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

9. Hardcore History fans, you have to check this out. Jump to 3:24 for the magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

10. Anyone familiar with "How Did This Get Made?"