Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

1. It's not so hard if you look at waveforms, you see a pattern with 'em. Just time consuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I do it, unless the ummm is too enmeshed into the next word.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. I loved listening to Webcomics Weekly, although they stopped a long time back. Still worth it if you like art talk, bad puns, cranky humor, and shop talk about making webcomics.

Scott Kurtz and Brad Guigar still do a podcast, called Surviving Creativity. Still talks webcomics, but also expands conversation to self-employed creatives of all stripes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. I caught up with the present in 8-4 play a few weeks ago!
    I guess I must be misogynist because my most hated participants were both female. No wait, it's because even though English may not be Hiroko's second language (from what I gathered she's from California), she speaks as though it is. Throughout the first couple years, the guys would mention that people were asking for more Hiroko. I'm like, why? Not enough ums? There was one episode where I guess she felt she should be more involved, and so accomplished that by uttering "yeah" or "mmhmm" after every sentence someone spoke. Every. Single. Fucking. One. It was unlistenable.
    Then more recently there was the great Sarah Podz. I guess everyone was goo goo gaa gaa because she is quite the looker. But this is a podcast. She has a grating voice and (just like Hiroko) the tendency to end every sentence as if it were a question? God that annoys me.

So now I'm listening to Idle Thumbs, a podcast that began in 2008, from the beginning. It's incredibly self-referential and incredibly funny. All three guys come across very comfortable and interact with each other as if they are used to hanging out and shooting the breeze. I'm 7 episodes in and I really like it, even if all they talk about it Farcry 2, Fallout 3, and hot scoops. Good stuff.

5. Look at this shitlord.

I like Gamers With Jobs. To stay on topic, they brought on this chick recently who gives some good takes. She doesn't like the same stuff I do, but that's okay.

6. I actually like listening to people with differing opinions, as long as they have something to back it up other than hyperbole. I've pretty much ignored every indie game, ever. But listening to the 8-4 guys talk about Shovel Knight, Rogue Legacy, Galak Z, and Spelunky got me to try them. I liked 75% of that list!

7. For me it's not even necessarily about trying stuff, sometimes it's nice to hear someone who likes a genre or style of game talk about one I don't like. I'll listen to someone talk about the latest walking simulator and put it in context for example.

A lot of gamer girls are shy. Especially around large (or at least their perception of large) men. (Or maybe gamers and nerds are just shy as the norm and we don't notice the shy men because we ignore them?)

My sister has been a guest speaker at conferences on online bullying and female game culture, and for the one that I attended, a guy with less experience than any of the female speakers, did the bulk of the talking. I think he was the moderator of a WoW clan with female members. That was it. That had female game designers there and female head shrinks, but a male online mod talked more than all of them.

My sis, personally, I think needs to work on projecting her energy.

For female nerds/gamers, it is hard to generalize. But there is something there and I think it is at the heart of some of these "SJW" issues that we keep hearing about. Is it that men are horrible and control conversations, or do women let the loudest person control the conversation? Are women making assumptions that the men are not trying to assert? I don't know, its hard to put into words, because I have a feeling that there are different unwritten rules to how men and women handle group discussion and women have two or three that men are not aware of. Like men are unknowingly saying the magic password and getting power in discussions without knowing it. And SJW's are assuming men do know we're doing it, and we're doing it maliciously when really, we just want to talk about candy and famicom games. and we're just kind of fumbling/tripping our way into gaining the power.

Maybe that is something one of our female members can answer. When a mixed group of creatives/gamers/nerds are out and talking, why are the women more likely to just agree with the most talkative men? Or have you even noticed that pattern? In my experience it tends to happen in public speak or around new men. Women tend to open up as they get to know people and privacy is introduced.

9. Maybe not everything has to be boiled down to the assertion of power. I've been in plenty of conversations with women in which they held the control. It was mostly because they had strong feelings on the topic and I did not.

10. Sats is plural?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt