Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 111314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Podcasts

1. I was listening to the first episode!

They covered games that were mediocre and left out many that were influential. They completely dismissed the '70s as unimportant in Sega's history, which made him make very wrong assumptions about a lot of games in the '80s. A lot of it was just several minutes of "um, so what's this game? He actually spent more time discussing a Famicom LE he bought in Japan than some of the games in the Podcast.

I'm not surprised, though. It's representative of the problem with so many people in the press and game writing. They know little to nothing of anything unrelated to Nintendo and have little interest in actually finding out from those who do.

they know little to nothing about nintendo too.

3. Realistically, most of us here know a lot about the history of video games, what is a fucking podcast going to give you that has not been (A) talked about at some point on TNL, (B) something you read about just because you're interested, (C) played it yourself? I don't think many astrophysicists are listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson to learn shit.

4. Neil DeGrasse Tyson is doing more than fumbling over the names of the layers of the atmosphere on a podcast or standing in front of his telescope collection, holding each of This Month's Lens Pickups up to the camera and calling it "actually pretty cool" before moving on to the next on YouTube.

5. I have seen a video of NDT fumbling through his collection of fountain pens, some of which were actually pretty cool.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Realistically, most of us here know a lot about the history of video games, what is a fucking podcast going to give you that has not been (A) talked about at some point on TNL, (B) something you read about just because you're interested, (C) played it yourself? I don't think many astrophysicists are listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson to learn shit.
    Don't assume that only people like us listen to these podcasts. I'm sure there are lots of people who listen because they think the people involved know their shit. It doesn't help when they get shit wrong. And you would would be amazed at the amount of video game "history" that is spouted over and over by game writers and journalists that isn't correct and could be fact-checked with a bit of real research. If you're going to talk about the topic, at least know SOMETHING about the fucking topic.

7. My point is that these pods are not aimed at people like us. Which makes me think how much bullshit I am taking in whenever I watch a TV show or a Youtube video or whatever about shit I don't know about.

Yeah, they're for kids. People with interest in the topic but didn't live through it.

Why are you defending the deliberate misinformation of children?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Don't assume that only people like us listen to these podcasts. I'm sure there are lots of people who listen because they think the people involved know their shit. It doesn't help when they get shit wrong. And you would would be amazed at the amount of video game "history" that is spouted over and over by game writers and journalists that isn't correct and could be fact-checked with a bit of real research. If you're going to talk about the topic, at least know SOMETHING about the fucking topic.
    There was a time when supposed video game journalists believed that Space Invaders was the 1st arcade video game.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    My point is that these pods are not aimed at people like us. Which makes me think how much bullshit I am taking in whenever I watch a TV show or a Youtube video or whatever about shit I don't know about.
    This is why The Indoor Kids was really the non-Wonder Dudes gaming podcast I could ever listen to. They didn't care if they were right. Kumail Nanjiani, his wife and a comedian guest would tell stories about games they used to play and cared more about personality than getting anything right. I sure as shit didn't care when they got a game name wrong or something. It was reliably funny and its a shame it's not running anymore.

You know what's for people like us? Fast Karate for the Gentleman. Go listen to that.

(also, Finch, let's do more podcasts come onnnnnn)