Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Infinite Jest' Author, David Foster Wallace, Dead at 46

1. 'Infinite Jest' Author, David Foster Wallace, Dead at 46

Quote Originally Posted by Associated Press
    Sep 13th, 2008 | CLAREMONT, Calif. -- David Foster Wallace, the author best known for his 1996 novel "Infinite Jest," was found dead in his home, according to police. He was 46.

Wallace's wife found her husband had hanged himself when she returned home about 9:30 p.m. Friday, said Jackie Morales, a records clerk with the Claremont Police Department.

Wallace taught creative writing and English at nearby Pomona College.

"He cared deeply for his students and transformed the lives of many young people," said Dean Gary Kates. "It's a great loss to our teaching faculty."

Wallace's first novel, "The Broom of the System," gained national attention in 1987 for its ambition and offbeat humor. The New York Times said the 24-year-old author "attempts to give us a portrait, through a combination of Joycean word games, literary parody and zany picaresque adventure, of a contemporary America run amok."

Published in 1996, "Infinite Jest" cemented Wallace's reputation as a major American literary figure. The 1,000-plus-page tome, praised for its complexity and dark wit, topped many best-of lists. Time Magazine named "Infinite Jest" in its issue of the "100 Best English-language Novels from 1923 to 2005."

Wallace received a "genius grant" from the MacArthur Foundation in 1997.

In 2002, Wallace was hired to teach at Pomona in a tenured English Department position endowed by Roy E. Disney. Kates said when the school began searching for the ideal candidate, Wallace was the first person considered.

"The committee said, 'we need a person like David Foster Wallace.' They said that in the abstract," Kates said. "When he was approached and accepted, they were heads over heels. He was really the ideal person for the position."

Wallace's short fiction was published in Esquire, GQ, Harper's, The New Yorker and the Paris Review. Collections of his short stories were published as "Girl With Curious Hair" and "Brief Interviews With Hideous Men."

He wrote nonfiction for several publications, including an essay on the U.S. Open for Tennis magazine and a profile of the director David Lynch for Premiere.

Born in Ithaca, N.Y., Wallace attended Amherst College and the University of Arizona.
    AP via Salon

I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere. Please delete if this is the case.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 14 Sep 2008 at 02:06 PM.

2. apparently this guy is my friends uncle, who knew

3. I sort of expected a greater reaction, but ok.

4. you should have mentioned the suicide in the thread title, which makes this a bigger deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

5. It is in the subtitle. I suppose some skins don't have that? Or nobody pays attention to the subtitle.

6. I don't care either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. My life has a 95% chance of ending the same way.

8. I've wildly misjudged my audience.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 14 Sep 2008 at 09:34 PM.

9. well, i thought it was sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

10. I read this forever ago. Don't remember much about it besides that it was about tennis and had a massive glossary.