Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P Toonami

1. Didn't Toonami used to show Thundercats and Voltron? If so, that's when I watched it, and I loved it.

Sad to see it go, but I haven't watched it since then.

2. Last time I watched it was when there was a block from like 4:00 to 6:00 and then Gundam Wing at Midnight.

3. I stopped watching before they had TOM 3, which... I'm gonna guess was 2002.

4. I remember taping the midnight run every night and then watching DBZ before school every morning. So for that I'm sad to see it go, but they've been showing nothing but shit (even by kids show standards) for years.

5. It's a telling lesson in dooming a brand by forgetting what made it popular in the first place. It was at the height of its popularity as an after-school intermingling of old action toons and anime, with a few newer things interspersed now and again. Somehow, it turned into a Saturday-only thing with all newer stuff, much more weighted towards anime.

I really don't understand why they had to abandon the after-school slot. You can't tell me kids coming home to Naruto wouldn't have been a recipe for success.

6. Wow, I wasn't aware Toonami was still going either but it is a bit sad to know it is gone. Blum's final word is classic though. I am having a flow of memories right now with Cowboy Bebop at the forefront.

I agree with Bacon, they should have stayed as an after school animation block.

7. That's a real shame, toonami was definitely a big part of my highschool experience, I used to watch it all the time. There was a time period when they would make their own custom music videos and customized openings to shows that were excellent, they really new how to present themselves. They did some great stuff around that time, like "The Intruder".

The later versions of toonami were stale though.

8. I remember the intruder.

Sort of, I just remember the ship was under attack.

9. Just to put this in perspective:

You're "old" if CN didn't exist throughout your childhood/adolescence.

10. Like I need to be reminded. I watched Get Smart and Giilligan's Island on network tv because that was all that was available after school back in my day. Kids these days are spoiled rotten, the little rat bastards. I'd have killed for Toonami.

James