Page 1 of 25 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Translation Hack Tsunami

1. Translation Hack Tsunami

We should have a thread for this, and reuse it when more translations surface. But right now there's a shitload of stuff that has a good chance of seeing release before the end of the year.

Persona 2: Innocent Sin

This is done by the hacker who worked with throughhim456 on the Tales of Phantasia hack last year, but mercifully not the same translator. It's arguably the most sophisticated hack ever done, on a game that has long stumped hackers. It's every bit as polished as the official Eternal Punishment localization.

When: October 15. Done deal, mark your calendars, count on it. Update: Out now

Policenauts

This project has been around forever, and after their programmer proved ill equipped to handle it, the project stalled out. But in the last month, new blood has gotten this project rolling again, at a very good pace. Most of the script is translated and has been for some time, so once the hacking is under control, this could happen very quickly.

When: Right now, baby

Mother 3

This has been a long time in coming, but it's almost here. The collaborative effort between the two leading groups working on the game is finally down to the bottom of its "to-do" list. As of today, they hope to enter beta testing by the end of the month, which could mean a release before the end of October.

When: Soon. Optimistic estimates put it in our hands by Halloween, but there's really not much left to do, so it shouldn't run too late. UPDATE: It's out

Tales of Phantasia (Phantasian Productions)

Last year, Absolute Zero put out a pretty amazing hack of ToP, done by hacker Gemini, and it beat this 10-year project to the punch. Unfortunately, their effort was focused on one otaku's concept of accuracy, which meant a dry script that still contained errors because he wasn't consulting with others.

It may have takes a bit longer, but this project has managed to do everything Gemini did, and then some. Subtitle skits with variable placement, subtitles battle voices, selectable item/skill translation styles (literal translation, localized, phonetic), and what looks like a very polished script that has been pored over by a team of translators and writers. Should be worth the wait.

When: "Soon." The translation is 100% done, editing is about half done, and then there's still beta testing. By the end of the year seems likely. UPDATE: Ok, by the end of 2009, this time they promise.

Tales of Innocence

Tales of Innocence is the second Tales game on the DS, and the first one not to suck. It was passed over for a NA release, so Absolute Zero is working on it. It looks like they're progressing very very fast. The project is quite young, but it doesn't look like this one will take too much longer.

When: Likely "a few months." The project is pretty new, but this isn't going to take all year.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Aug 2009 at 01:07 PM.

Great idea for a thread. I'm often late to playing transhacked stuff because I don't follow the translation progress closely. I can't wait for Policenauts especially.

3. Come on Mother 3....

4. Good timing, I'd been looking into fan-translated stuff lately and this will be a nice resource/motivator. Of course, you went and listed everything I can think of off the top of my head.

James

5. i was just thinking about mother 3 earlier today. can't wait!

6. Soooo.

What's up with Namco/Capcom?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Soooo.

What's up with Namco/Capcom?
    Already out. At least a beta version. It's complete from what I've heard, though.

8. I have the Mother 3 updates in my RSS reader, it's interesting to read what they have to go through to manage a well done translation and that the translating doesn't interfere with anything else in the game.
    All is well.

9. New Snatcher shots, hallelujah. This is looking quite solid now. I wonder if we might even see it by the end of the year.

Also Hajime no Ippo for GBA translated, although it was never had a terribly daunting language barrier to begin with.

And Mother 3 is officially done hacking and translation and is beginning testing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kennedy3.jpg 
Views:	1701 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	40749   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kennedy1.jpg 
Views:	1677 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	40750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kennedy4.jpg 
Views:	1719 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	40751  
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Sep 2008 at 05:38 PM.

10. Dragon Quest 3 Reprise is currently in the testing phase, so hopefully a release will happen soon. Its one of the trans hacks I've waited a long time for.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.