Page 1 of 48 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: 2k8-2K9 NBA Season Thread

1. Dreamcast 2k8-2K9 NBA Season Thread

Finally, training camp is back in session and the world's most blinged-out athletes can get back to what matters - stylin', profilin' and even occasionally passing.

What happened over the offseason? A bunch of stuff:

Ron Artest is on the Houston Rockets now. I want a buddy cop action comedy with him & Yao NOW.

Josh Childress got paid more than he's worth to go play in Greece, where he will be Michael Jordan with an afro.

Baron Davis went to the Clippers in a plan to play with Elton Brand, who suddenly got offered more money and went to Philadelphia instead. Yeah! Go Clips! As a follow up move they let Maggette go to the Warriors.

Then Denver traded Marcus Camby to them for a 2nd rounder. If you can understand why all that happened when those those moves made 3 of those 4 teams worse you're a better man than I.

The Raptors traded TJ Ford, Rasho Nesterovic & a first rounder for Jermaine O'Neal.

The Knicks tried to trade all their horrid players away and only managed to give up Ronaldo Balkman for a 2nd rounder. They also paid Mike D'Antoni billions of dollars to bring his up tempo, shooting based conditioning-intensive game to the Knick's slow, fat, injury prone and unable to shoot roster. They also paid too much money to Chris Duhon in anticipation of cutting Marbury, except then they didn't, guaranteeing either an awesome pissing match or both of them starting. Guaranteed LOLs all around either way. Love those Knicks!

Ben Gordon held out all summer for $12 million a year after turning down a phat extension from the Bulls thinking he was worth more. Except he wasn't so now he's stuck with the Bulls playing for the qualifying offer. LOL. Expect this guy to shoot the ball every single time he touches it.

The Cavs got black hole pg Mo Williams from the Bucks. Odds of Lebron having the hip hop world blacklist him by January: 3:1.

The Pistons started off buy saying everyone on their roster was available, and it was time to shake things up to get to the next level. Major offseason moves: signed Kwame Brown. Good going.

The Blazers did a bunch of small moves but Oden's going to play this year, so that's pretty bug for them.

The Celtics basically did nothing except let Posey walk. They're still the best team in the East anyway.

The Bucks, after playing hardball to get Yi Jianlan from China traded him to the Nets for Richard Jefferson. Probably won that trade.

The Nets...I don't know what they're doing. They traded away Marcus Williams, Jefferson, Jason Kidd and let half their bench go to Russia for stupid money. Everyone thinks they're trying to build a good young team to lure Lebron to Brooklyn, except...they just suck. They still have Vince Carter so they're not going for a youth movement. And Yi Jianlan is soft, not the kind of guy you put next to Lebron. At least they'll get a high draft pick.

The Sonics moved to Oklahoma city and got a 12 year old with photoshop to make a generic d-league logo for them:

Yes, that's really it.

Those were all the major moves. There have been a couple of injuries - Monta Ellis was on a moped and messed up his leg. The Knicks were in practice and had to run so half of them are out for the season. And T-Mac's already out with the same janky back he's had since he was in Orlando.

Season begins at the end of October!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	noahcrazy.jpg 
Views:	815 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	40953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thosehappyceltics.jpg 
Views:	767 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	40955  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by StriderKyo; 04 Oct 2008 at 11:28 PM.
    -Kyo

2. Grizzlies -- turned down the potential of a Gay-Love duo by going for the Gay-Mayo duo instead. Got rid of Pau Gasol and replaced him with Marc Gasol, Pau's fatter, less-skilled brother. Also traded away Mike Miller, their only real three-point threat and second leading scorer. Things are not looking good.

3. Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33 View Post
    Grizzlies -- turned down the potential of a Gay-Love duo by going for the Gay-Mayo duo instead. Got rid of Pau Gasol and replaced him with Marc Gasol, Pau's fatter, less-skilled brother. Also traded away Mike Miller, their only real three-point threat and second leading scorer. Things are not looking good.
    Gay Love duo would have been awesome.

You know I am a Celtics homer so I am excited to see if they can repeat.

4. Quote Originally Posted by wEEman33 View Post
    Grizzlies -- turned down the potential of a Gay-Love duo by going for the Gay-Mayo duo instead. Got rid of Pau Gasol and replaced him with Marc Gasol, Pau's fatter, less-skilled brother. Also traded away Mike Miller, their only real three-point threat and second leading scorer. Things are not looking good.
    Positives: turned down the potential of a Gay-Love duo by going for a Gay-Mayo duo instead. Seriously, Minny got robbed.

Also, did not trade for Zach Randolph. Mayo and Randolph on the same team is an episode of Cops waiting to happen (wait - is that show even still on?)
    -Kyo

5. Quote Originally Posted by StriderKyo View Post
    Josh Childress got paid more than he's worth to go play in Greece, where he will be Michael Jordan with an afro.
    I actually think Childress is a hell of a player who should have been offered more by ATL. They will miss him and his continued improvement. He may come back to the NBA next year though. I'd love to have him.

Ben Gordon held out all summer for $12 million a year after turning down a phat extension from the Bulls thinking he was worth more. Except he wasn't so now he's stuck with the Bulls playing for the qualifying offer. LOL. Expect this guy to shoot the ball every single time he touches it.
    He does that anyway. That's normal for BG. Expect him to come off the bench and be perhaps the fourth guard in a rotation led by Rose, Hinrich, and Sefolosha. I predict Thabo will have a breakout year this season, more so than Tyrus having his.

The Cavs got black hole pg Mo Williams from the Bucks. Odds of Lebron having the hip hop world blacklist him by January: 3:1.
    I think Cleveland comes out of the East. I like the Mo Williams acquisition. LeBron is the primary ball handler on that team anyway.

The Pistons started off buy saying everyone on their roster was available, and it was time to shake things up to get to the next level. Major offseason moves: signed Kwame Brown. Good going.
    I actually like the Kwame Brown signing! I think he has his best year as a pro, which may not be saying much, but for an athletic, big 26-year old 7 footer at $4 million per, it could be a steal.

The Blazers did a bunch of small moves but Oden's going to play this year, so that's pretty bug for them.
    I'm worried about the health of Brandon Roy. I think this team, if healthy, can push for 45-48 wins.

The Celtics basically did nothing except let Posey walk. They're still the best team in the East anyway.
    I think they end up with the best record in the East but don't see them getting past Cleveland this year. I think Cleveland also makes a major deal at the trading deadline with all the expiring contracts they have (i.e. Wally).

6. Cavs are talking about playing lebron 15-20 minutes at the power forward position. This is intriguing. I like it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I actually think Childress is a hell of a player who should have been offered more by ATL. They will miss him and his continued improvement. He may come back to the NBA next year though. I'd love to have him.
    Yeah, me too. He's the ideal low maintenance 4th option small forward; I was hoping the Raptors would do something to get him. When I said "more than he's worth" I meant NBA market value.

He does that anyway. That's normal for BG. Expect him to come off the bench and be perhaps the fourth guard in a rotation led by Rose, Hinrich, and Sefolosha. I predict Thabo will have a breakout year this season, more so than Tyrus having his.
    I liked Thabo coming out of the draft, but I think there's no way in hell Gordon accepts less minutes than him.

I think Cleveland comes out of the East. I like the Mo Williams acquisition. LeBron is the primary ball handler on that team anyway.
    I guess so. Williams rebounds well for a guard, but I don't think much of him as a complimentary part other than that.

I actually like the Kwame Brown signing! I think he has his best year as a pro, which may not be saying much, but for an athletic, big 26-year old 7 footer at $4 million per, it could be a steal.
    I just thought it was funny Dumars practically alienated his core in the name of getting to the next level and that's the only move they made. Kwame's largely a victim of expectation - if he was drafted 10th to just be a big who holds his position under the basket he'd be held in higher esteem. Instead the lack of skill he was supposed to manifest is held against him. But he does improve their big man rotation - not sure if it's better than when Big Ben was there but it does free Rasheed up to cover the 4 instead of always taking the biggest guy on the other team.

I'm worried about the health of Brandon Roy. I think this team, if healthy, can push for 45-48 wins.
    I'm worried about the health of Greg Oden. Dude already tweaked something in camp. I get the feeling he'll be one of those guys whose injuries hold him back from ever reaching his potential this is what too much HGH too soon does to you, kids. Say no to drugs.

I think they end up with the best record in the East but don't see them getting past Cleveland this year. I think Cleveland also makes a major deal at the trading deadline with all the expiring contracts they have (i.e. Wally).
    Maybe. The loss of Posey and PJ Brown will hurt the Celts, and injuries may catch up with them this year. But the Cavs need a good big with an all around before I start thinking of them as title contenders though.
    -Kyo

8. Cleveland (my adopted second team) is going to win the East.

But I wonder why Portland can't be in the East. They might barely make the playoffs over here. I fear Oden will have some issues though.

9. Cleveland only wins the east if Williams plays team ball, if he becomes Ricky Davis Jr, then we're fucked.

10. Fuck Clay Bennett and OKC.

I'm debating whether or not I should even follow the NBA anymore. It's my second fav sport but I feel like staying a fan puts money in Stern's pocket and that douchebag doesn't deserve my money.

On the other hand, I feel like I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face.

TNL, do I stay w/the NBA or give it up cold turkey?
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion