Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1113141516171929 ... LastLast

Thread: Epic Games and EA Fight Used Game Sales

1. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Still, I don't completely agree with Epic's plan here. A better idea? Let those who buy GoW2 new get that DLC for free with the one-time code, but sell it to used game buyers via Xbox Live Marketplace for 800 MS Points. That's a way to get some money off of a used game sale. If you're saving $5 by buying used at GS, you'd end up shelling out $10 for the extra stuff- coming out to $65 total, assuming GS wants $55 for a used copy.
    We'll have to see, but I wouldn't be surprised if Epic doesn't eventually put the maps up as DLC.

2. They'll eventually have to. There's no point in making maps and then dooming them to obscurity because only a limited number of people have them. Maps are designed for lots of people to play, unlike a special gun or other similar, more player-specific unlock, and the point isn't to leave those who bought the first-run copies wandering around empty levels wondering where the competition is. Epic would be smart to toss the maps up on Day 1 for $5, the standard difference between a new and used copy.

James

3. The Epic/EA thing is kinda dumb, but so is Gamestop. The only thing I order at GS any more are exclusive figures.

4. Epic's Mike Capp recently said this:

“I’ve talked to some developers who are saying ‘If you want to fight the final boss you go online and pay USD 20, but if you bought the retail version you got it for free’. We don’t make any money when someone rents it, and we don’t make any money when someone buys it used - way more than twice as many people played Gears than bought it.”
    So they basically don't want you to play at all unless you buy the game, I get it, but making people pay to DL a fucking boss? He also conveniently fails to mention how many people probably bought Gears after having rented or played it elsewhere. Douche.

I'd love to see how Epic would backpedal out of this bullshit stance when its sales takes a hit.
    Last edited by Melf; 10 Nov 2008 at 08:32 PM. Reason: fixed for teh gramur

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    So they basically don't want you to play at all unless you buy the game, I get it, but making people pay to DL a fucking boss? He also conveniently fails to mention how many people probably bought Gears after having rented or played it elsewhere. Douche.
    As usual, they also conveniently forget that used copies don't spring up out of nowhere. Somebody had to make the conscious decision to sell or trade the game. They decided that the game was no longer worth owning. Developers should be looking for more positive incentives to keep a game rather than attempting to punish people who trade, rent, or buy used. Additional DLC down the line, robust multiplayer or scoring modes, or just an incredible singleplayer campaign are all good ways to curb used sales.

I'd love to see how Epic would backpeddle out of this bullshit stance when its sales takes a hit.
    Pedal. Pedal. PEDAL. Unless they're selling stuff while moving backwards.

6. You know what'd be super gay about DLing a boss? I don't use my 360 online.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Just curious if a retailer that exclusively sells video games can remotely survive on the profit margins from selling only new games. Can a former store owner comment on this (Haoh, Pa)? Is there a way for the game companies to give retailers a bigger piece of the pie of new game sales, and if so, how much bigger would be enough to encourage retailers to stop selling used games without jacking up the MSRP and screwing over the consumer?

Let's say a store has a new sealed copy of Psychic Killer or some other pricey game and they sell that new sealed copy for 4-5 times of what the original retail cost. Will the game companies soon demand a percentage of the gain?

8. There's absolutely no way an independent game store could survive on new games only, the markups are miniscule.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    You know what'd be super gay about DLing a boss? I don't use my 360 online.
    Which is exactly why this could never happen. I understand why they want to go to these measures. I just hope they can find a way to do it without fucking over the customer. It's still a ways off, but what about when you can't find a new copy of the game to get whatever incentive they put in for you to buy it new?

10. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    As usual, they also conveniently forget that used copies don't spring up out of nowhere. Somebody had to make the conscious decision to sell or trade the game. They decided that the game was no longer worth owning. Developers should be looking for more positive incentives to keep a game rather than attempting to punish people who trade, rent, or buy used. Additional DLC down the line, robust multiplayer or scoring modes, or just an incredible singleplayer campaign are all good ways to curb used sales.

Pedal. Pedal. PEDAL. Unless they're selling stuff while moving backwards.
    So your saying Epic could do what they did in years past to keep a game interesting. Release new maps a few times a year to keep interest in a game. They did it for years with Unreal on the PC.
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time