Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 1525272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Ads on TNL: How to Love Them or Leave Them Behind

1. well do you

2. *ahem*
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. I had to write a short Greasemonkey script to get rid of that ad in the Quick Reply. Shit was annoying.

4. You know, honestly, why would anyone come into this thread and talk about ad-blocking scripts? I am unemployed. That means I am not receiving a paycheck, but TNL is still being paid for and will continue to be paid for. We are running contests. I am paying for things on the editorial side.

I'm pretty sure users on almost any similar site would be banned for coming into a topic like this and talking about ways to get around the ads. First of all, it is trolling, since the thread is about ads and subscriptions. Secondly, it is harmful to the site because - see the previous paragraph - I have continued to pay for TNL during two periods of unemployment and one other financial crisis.

If you can write or download a script that spares you from having to deal with ads, good for you. You are kings among men. See, I also have scripts at my disposal that could keep me from having to deal with trolling and comments I don't like. That doesn't mean I have to yak about them or even use them.

Keep it to yourself.

5. I don't mind ads on the site, at all. The one in quick reply was really bugging me because of the placement.

6. That's the nature of ads. Otherwise, people don't even see them, really. It's why on free TV ads come on during the show, not all together at the end of the show.

My point remains: talking about ad blocking in this thread is clearly trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    I don't mind ads on the site, at all. The one in quick reply was really bugging me because of the placement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crying-baby.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	44852  

8. Quote doesn't match the picture. Especially since I was offering a suggestion, and the outcome doesn't really affect me.

What, the "crying baby" shit? Oh wah wah, there is an add NEXT TO WHERE I TYPE call the cops!