Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3848505152

Thread: Zelda Skyward Sword Official

1. Groose is the worst, however. I don't know what Finch is thinking there.
    >:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Donk

2. I beat this over the weekend, great game. Probably would have been better without the padding in the latter portion of the game, particularly the Song of the Hero quests and one too many battles against The Imprisoned. I had fun with it, although I'm glad future Legend of Zelda games (presumably) won't have Wii remote controls. They were actually good, but every so often combat would feel like an inaccurate chore, and that shouldn't be the case with Zelda. But that may be tied to another issue, how too puzzle-focused the 3D Zelda games have been, when its action roots should be the foundation. Hopefully A Link Between Worlds is a sign of things finally becoming better adjusted.

Groose improved mightily, so now I know what Finch is thinking there! It's amazing how much he turned around to become a likable character, unfortunately Ghirahim remained a worthless, garbage character throughout and The Imprisoned wasn't much better. Neat story, and as annoying as Fi could be if you heard all of the hints she had to give you, I liked the character and there was a 100% chance that I was sad to part ways with her in the end.

Last edited by Geo; 14 Jul 2014 at 06:14 PM.

3. I finally got around to picking this game up again after not playing it in months, and ended up throwing it in the garbage after the third imprisoned battle. Outside of the dungeons, there is nothing even remotely enjoyable about this game. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

4. I felt that same way after the first 30 minutes, could just tell it wouldn't be anything I wanted to continue.

5. I hated the start of this game so much. I remember it being sooo long before you actually got to kill anything at the start, such a drag. I only played it on a GameFly rental and ended up dropping Skyward Sword when I found out how awesome Dark Souls was. Dark Souls was almost like the "dark" Zelda game that Nintendo never made.

I hope they bring out Skyward Sword out for Switch soon. It's the only mainline Zelda game I haven't completed, and I imagine it's the same for a lot of people. It's been long enough that it'll be new for a lot of people. But they've gotta make the motion controls optional. I dug the motion controls for the most part, but they need to make it work in Switch portable mode.

6. The motion controls aren't terrible, but the game would work fine without them. The issue for me was that the game has enough charm and potential that I want to like it, but there's so much bullshit filler that I just can't. By the time I got to the third battle with the imprisoned thing, I just felt like the developers were trolling. The game is more tedious and obtuse than challenging, and the gameplay is not enjoyable enough to carry it.
    It also doesn't help that it looks like dogshit even for a Wii game. The last boss looks kinda cool, though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Son of Bryce View Post
    I hated the start of this game so much. I remember it being sooo long before you actually got to kill anything at the start, such a drag. I only played it on a GameFly rental and ended up dropping Skyward Sword when I found out how awesome Dark Souls was. Dark Souls was almost like the "dark" Zelda game that Nintendo never made.

I hope they bring out Skyward Sword out for Switch soon. It's the only mainline Zelda game I haven't completed, and I imagine it's the same for a lot of people. It's been long enough that it'll be new for a lot of people. But they've gotta make the motion controls optional. I dug the motion controls for the most part, but they need to make it work in Switch portable mode.
    These seem like two paragraphs from two different people.

8. I forgot to say that I liked a lot of the game when you actually get to the dungeons (but that's like a few hours in!). I thought it was a great game but I felt there were pacing issues. And it has a similar prob with the Zelda's after Ocarina where even with a new art style and some new items, a lot of it felt really similar. That's the reason why they threw out everything with Breath of the Wild, right?

In Skyward Sword, they went with the "let's make the trip to the dungeon a puzzle in itself" but from what I played it just made cramped feeling worlds. I didn't get the feeling of actually exploring a world. I think Xenoblade Chronicles came out on Wii around that time as well, so it wasn't like the Wii wasn't capable of that. I had imported Xenoblade around that time as well so maybe I was just more interested in that world at the time.

I'd like to actually play through it and see if there's more to it than my first impression. I often drop games that seem kinda dull at first only to come back later and find out what they're really about. Same thing happened when I played Yakuza 5 last year.

9. There are two worthwhile things Nintendo could do with this trainwreck IMO:

1) leave it in the past where it will never harm anyone else again

2) remake it from the ground up in the BotW engine. I want to be able to stand at the edge of the sky town, look down and see the temple where proto-Ganon is sealed, then jump on my bird and fly down there with no (visible) loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

10. Yeah, Skyward Sword is easily the worst game in the main Zelda series. I had to really force myself to finish it, and I definitely wouldn't buy a re-master on the Switch.