Thread: Vista logging off problems

1. Vista logging off problems

As of late, I am having problems shutting down my computer. Whether I want to shutdown completely or restart, it hangs on my desktop for a few seconds and than it freezes on the logging off. The little swirly thing stops and doesnt spin.

I didnt install any new programs but there was a Windows Update a week ago or so. It hangs on the logging off for a very long time and I manually turn it off. When I boot it back up, it takes me to black screen whether to start in safe mode or normal. Shutting down/restarting in safe mode works fine. I dont have any freezing or slow downs in apps or anything when the computer is in use. Just the shutting down process.

I dont play PC games.

What are some suggestions? I read cleaning/repairing the registry? If so, any suggested programs? I already did DISK CLEANUP and DISK DEFRAG. I've also read of doing a clean boot.

Windows Vista Home
    Dell Inspirion Desktop..forgot what series
    2GB of ram
    Last edited by bandit; 21 Oct 2008 at 09:09 AM.

2. Windows, but not Vista related. I know of some people having similar issues since the latest patches.

This is on an XP machine so I'm not sure if the patch numbers are the same. You could always just go and remove them yourself by date in the add/remove section of Vista. If it's not enabled already I think there's a place to tick that shows the updates to remove.

"Do you have Windows Update set to automagically install patches? I had issues with a Win2K Server system that I had installed the latest Updates on last week. It would get to the point right before the login screen would come up and then just sit there. For Evar. Ended up getting rid of these patches and it came right back up:

KB956390
    KB957095
    KB956391
    KB954211

YMMV and the issues may be totally unrelated."

Also, run a disk check on the drive to rule out that going south.

Open Vista's Help and Support and type: Error Checking in
    the Search box, press your Enter key and click on the topic
    titled "Check your hard drive for errors".

or

Start Menu>Computer>
    right click the drive, select Properties.
    "Tools" tab.
    Last edited by Dyne; 21 Oct 2008 at 10:43 AM.

3. Thanks Dyne, I'll give this a try when I get home after work. I'll update the progress on this.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    What are some suggestions? I read cleaning/repairing the registry? If so, any suggested programs? I already did DISK CLEANUP and DISK DEFRAG. I've also read of doing a clean boot.
    Piriform CCleaner

5. Any luck Bandit?

6. Thought I updated. I guess I never hit the post button. I couldnt find any of the info you posted in regards to the patches. I didnt do the other options you suggested. I did however just do a system restore. It worked. Windows popped up saying there are new updates but didnt install it. All working fine now. Thanks

On a side note, my gf got that Antispyware 2009 XP. I got that removed using a program as I read that it was a bitch to remove manually. For whatever reason, it deleted some of the folders in the Program Folder so she couldnt access some of her programs. I think it even installed a new user on the log in screen. Removed the extra user and reinstalled all the programs.