Page 1011 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 997100710091010101110121013 ... LastLast
Results 10,101 to 10,110 of 10144

Thread: Election Thread 2016

1. Listen to Cognitive Dissonance or The Scathing Atheist then. Or watch Bill Maher. (Actually now that I think about it, that's the dividing line - the only liberals calling out the Muslim world on its bullshit are the ones starting from the premise that ALL religion is a force of evil in need of standing up to.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Listen to Cognitive Dissonance or The Scathing Atheist then. Or watch Bill Maher. (Actually now that I think about it, that's the dividing line - the only liberals calling out the Muslim world on its bullshit are the ones starting from the premise that ALL religion is a force of evil in need of standing up to.)
    I watch Maher, and I'll check out Cognitive Dissonance, but I refuse to listen to anything called "The Scathing Atheist."
    My problem with Maher's criticism is that he blankets it over *all* Muslims, which imo is just as bad as liberals being anti-semitic. It's not Muslims that are the problems, it's the national policy of respective countries that are causing the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Should have expanded on this further - I don't mean being anti-Israel is inherently anti-semitic, I mean when liberals are honing in on the following:
    http://forward.com/opinion/israel/33...-anti-semitic/

Kind of shitty article but most of the points stand.
    Once again, bonus points for "Israel is a bunch of money grubbing nazis!" That's antisemitism and you see it a LOT on the left.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    they see a society of "brown people" and automatically assume they are "oppressed" against the privileged white male societies. For example.. I've seen comments that talk, on one hand, how evil and homophobic Republicans are while giving a total pass to countries that literally still execute gays for being gay (there are around 10 countries that do that, and ALL of them are either an Islamic state or majority Islamic).

That said, I think that if Israel is a "thriving democratic society" it should be held to a higher standard than its dysfunctional neighbors. I think the settlement policy is a disgrace, for example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Exactly. I've never seen any proud lefty expand on the rest of the Middle East as the do with the fervor of their hate of Israel.
    The bold stuff is mind-blowing to me. What the hell kind of liberals have I been around that this behavior you're describing is the norm and seems insane to me? What kind of liberal am I - am I slanted in that my focus in college was History->Mesopotamia->Tigris/Euphrates today?

Jesus. We *should* be speaking out about the entire region - especially about the part from Diff in underline.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    the only liberals calling out the Muslim world on its bullshit are the ones starting from the premise that ALL religion is a force of evil in need of standing up to.
    Is this where my lack of perspective comes from? The people I know and consider "liberal" all share this view with me. Am I in a weird bubble-within-a-bubble?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Listen to Cognitive Dissonance or The Scathing Atheist then. Or watch Bill Maher. (Actually now that I think about it, that's the dividing line - the only liberals calling out the Muslim world on its bullshit are the ones starting from the premise that ALL religion is a force of evil in need of standing up to.)
    Bill Maher is an idiot and this viewpoint is insane. Unless you can find me a Christian or Buddhist state that throws gays off buildings as punishment.

Weeellll buggery laws were a real thing in the uk.

7. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Do american liberals harbor the same animosity toward Saudi Arabia? They really should.
    We would LOVE to, but the likes of Pam Gellar and the "Islam is barbaric/inherently evil/conquering the west" people make us not want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

And that's what drives me most nuts about those people. They hide behind the fact that they occasionally do real humanitarian work, but they intentionally alienate the rest of the humanitarian community, thus reducing that work to a political ploy, rather than accomplishing so much more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Bill Maher is an idiot and this viewpoint is insane. Unless you can find me a Christian or Buddhist state that throws gays off buildings as punishment.
    We were throwing gays in prison like... recently. Globalism gives a stark contrast between cultures that are maybe a few decades apart, but let's not pretend it's much more than that.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 28 Nov 2016 at 09:24 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    That's not really Bill Maher's viewpoint, though. Obviously he thinks all religions are harmful, but he specifically calls out Islam when talking about violent extremism.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    We would LOVE to, but the likes of Pam Gellar and the "Islam is barbaric/inherently evil/conquering the west" people make us not want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

And that's what drives me most nuts about those people. They hide behind the fact that they occasionally do real humanitarian work, but they intentionally alienate the rest of the humanitarian community, thus reducing that work to a political ploy, rather than accomplishing so much more.

We were throwing gays in prison like... recently. Globalism gives a stark contrast between cultures that are maybe a few decades apart, but let's not pretend it's much more than that.
    I don't think it is a political ploy. Maybe an excuse to tell brown people about Jesus, but not political. Those people are more just stupid than they are evil or plotters.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Weeellll buggery laws were a real thing in the uk.
    Buggery laws and execution are not the same thing. Trying to equate the two is foolish.