Page 7 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Election Thread 2016

1. Quote Originally Posted by MarsKitten View Post
    It was supposedly to restrict the placement of foreign agents and such into the high political office. I suppose these days it's archaic but what would be a modern equivilent? No corporate officers?
    Or lawyers... not a dig at Obama, just lawyers in general

I just think that they days of an English duke potentially coming in and fooling the masses are over. These days, it's more restrictive than helpful.

Take, for example, an adopted Chinese baby. Said baby could arrive in America at infancy, grow up with a strong appreciation for this country, be very bright, possess all the qualities most desired in a leader... and yet end up ineligible for the presidency on a technicality.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. Quote Originally Posted by MarsKitten View Post
    It was supposedly to restrict the placement of foreign agents and such into the high political office. I suppose these days it's archaic but what would be a modern equivilent? No corporate officers?
    It's still a pretty basic idea. It's not like modern day espionage isn't as rampant as ever before, and much, much grander in scale and longer in gestation periods per objective. But it's far more likely that if someone wanted to plant a sleeper politician in the US they'd just cherry pick a US citizen out of the cradle. So it doesn't really solve anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Planting an agent to win the presidency is a lot like planting an agent to win the lottery, don't you think?

No.

5. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    Take for example Advocate, an adopted Korean baby. Said baby arrived in America at infancy, grew up with a strong appreciation for this country, be semi bright, possess all the qualities most desired in a leader... and yet ended up ineligible for the presidency on a technicality that was amended back in 1979, saying anyone naturalized after 1975 is ineligible for seeking the presidency.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

6. Phew... dodged a bullet with that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Phew... dodged a bullet with that one.
    touche

8. Quote Originally Posted by squall_vb View Post
    I hope they amend the Constitution just so I can see this debate. Well that, and the fact that the current restriction is archaic and needlessly discriminatory.
    Arnold can't even give a speech without throwing in quotes from movies he did (and parodies he thinks he did). I can only imagine he would be the worst debater in our history.

Fuck that. He'd be amazing.

10. Come on Obama put down the shit gun.
    Schwarzenegger 2012