Page 916 of 1015 FirstFirst ... 902912914915916917918920930 ... LastLast
Results 9,151 to 9,160 of 10144

Thread: Election Thread 2016

1. Election Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I don't think any of it is new, but I think conservative whites are increasingly vocal, angry, and aggressive for a number of reasons, including a heated election cycle, a pervading sense of disenfranchisement, and the perception that blacks concerns are now invalid because Obama proves racism isn't real.
    I disagree with the last sentence from reading lots of stuff this cycle. They feel that black concerns are pre-eminent because you have Obama going on TV and saying shot kids look like his son or a cop acted stupidly for doing his job. Then you have Clinton pandering to blacks with muh institutional racism. And the media spending hours a day talking about what football players did what during the national anthem.

Bottom line the reason why Trump got so much traction is because a lot of white communities are fucked up and they feel they were fucked up by people like Obama and HRC. Yet very few people in the media talk about those issues, instead deciding to call them dumb yokels and rednecks.

In hindsight... I think Obama really poisoned the well early on with his stuff about god and guns. Did not get things off to a good start.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 26 Oct 2016 at 03:23 PM.

2. There's a very good article in the New Yorker on this, about West Virginia.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Bottom line the reason why Trump got so much traction is because a lot of white communities are fucked up and they feel they were fucked up by people like Obama and HRC. Yet very few people in the media talk about those issues, instead deciding to call them dumb yokels and rednecks.
    MAGA baby!

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Quote Originally Posted by Diff
    And the media spending hours a day talking about what football players did what during the national anthem.
    oh man, ESPN has an article every week now "Week 7 in the NFL: WHO DID WHAT?"

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Separating people by skin color is now idealistic?
    They probably think it's helping as much as Weather Underground thought they were. Was Weather Underground what the left "had become" in the '70s? Is "Dylann Roofing" the new hotness on the right?

It's just tiresome to see the most radical action by the most radical students on the most liberal college campus in the most liberal part of the most liberal state held up as representative of what liberals "have become."

Gotta run something.

Truth be told, the average lib and con have a lot in common and really just want simple things like naps and a good sandwich.

7. Election Thread 2016

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    They probably think it's helping as much as Weather Underground thought they were. Was Weather Underground what the left "had become" in the '70s? Is "Dylann Roofing" the new hotness on the right?

It's just tiresome to see the most radical action by the most radical students on the most liberal college campus in the most liberal part of the most liberal state held up as representative of what liberals "have become."
    Big difference between then and now, the Internet. All these crazy stupid things don't run out of oxygen when they leave campus anymore.

Recent example. I can't count how many times I've read that the national anthem "endorses slavery" because of a vague poorly written line in a verse almost nobody knows exists. But people only started saying that after Kaepernick.now all of the sudden the national anthem is some sort of left wing litmus test. Ruth Bader Ginsburg got attacked on the left because she didn't agree with Colin! RUTH BADER GINSBURG. Liberals sided with a shitty quarterback over someone who has fought for civil rights her entire life because of a new standard they made up.

8. Stop getting distracted by nonsense.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. That nonsense will put a student in debt to the tune of six figures before it's all said and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. I'm pretty sure college is nonsense for most people.
    Boo, Hiss.