Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Windows 7

1. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    Some people are saying it's dock-like, but I don't particularly think it is. The OSX dock acts like a shortcut toolbar and a window switcher (a somewhat inefficient one in my opinion). This taskbar appears to act like the old ones in that it only shows programs that have been launched. I can get behind that.
    Uhm, that's exactly what my dock in OSX is: running applications only. When I want to launch an app, I just do this:

Click for full size

Edit: And wait... I'm 1:17 into Grave's video, and RIGHT THERE is the Microsoft guy dragging apps to the taskbar for quick launching, doing exactly what you said Windows doesn't do and thus is better than OSX's dock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	launch.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	41919  
    Last edited by mollipen; 03 Nov 2008 at 11:28 PM.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

I still haven't used Vista for more than ten minutes. They're already making another one?

3. Vista has a quick launch toolbar.

Not as purty, but its there.

Name:	quick_launch.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	41924  
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Uhm, that's exactly what my dock in OSX is: running applications only. When I want to launch an app, I just do this:
    Screw both standard task bars. All OS' should come standard with DragThing.

Name:	Picture 1.png 
Views:	209 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	41929  

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'll use Windows XP for work until there's a reason not to, thankyouverymuch.
    Ubuntu + gnome = reason not to

6. real men do this for quick launch anyway:

Name:	quicklaunch.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	41934  

7. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post

Click for full size

Edit: And wait... I'm 1:17 into Grave's video, and RIGHT THERE is the Microsoft guy dragging apps to the taskbar for quick launching, doing exactly what you said Windows doesn't do and thus is better than OSX's dock.
    So how do you do that, make a bunch of Alias and put them in a folder, drag the folder to the right side of the dock? But what's with the eject icon?
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.

8. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    Yeah. I know. I know. I said that before the videos came out demonstrating it.

On that token, though, I still think it's going to be easier to access less recently used programs and such through the start menu. I'm curious to see if people will use the start menu or shortcuts more often.

I can see YOU have your dock set up that way, which is nifty - but that's essentially just a gimpy start menu, y'know?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Vista has a quick launch toolbar.

Not as purty, but its there.

Yeah, I could set my pop-up app window to look like that as well in the OSX dock. I just like the big pretty icons.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlue View Post
    So how do you do that, make a bunch of Alias and put them in a folder, drag the folder to the right side of the dock? But what's with the eject icon?
    Yeah, that's all I'm doing. You can also just have your main Applications folder in the dock for a similar effect, but then you get EVERYTHING in the window, and I don't want nor need everything at quick access. (Plus, then Adobe apps would be represented by their folders, no the app itself.) It's not an eject button, that's just showing that that dock item is currently expanded, and clicking on that button would return it to a minimized state.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.