Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

1. Windows 7

Well Microsoft finally showed off some work they've been doing for the UI in Windows 7. I gotta say, I'm very happy to see that they've made some drastic changes with the taskbar.

Click for full size

They've completely scrapped text on it, which is fine by me. It also appears that windows that aren't minimized have an outline around them, and programs with more than one window/tab represent that with a little stacking-effect. And apparently, everything is finally draggable!

Some people are saying it's dock-like, but I don't particularly think it is. The OSX dock acts like a shortcut toolbar and a window switcher (a somewhat inefficient one in my opinion). This taskbar appears to act like the old ones in that it only shows programs that have been launched. I can get behind that.

Right-clicking on an item in the taskbar brings up a 'jump list':
    Click for full size

Obviously this'll be different for each program. I think this is an excellent idea and reminds me of gnome-panel applets in linux.

The start menu's a little altered, the little arrows are, I believe, for the same kind of jump lists and I like the array of folders on the right:
    Click for full size

I'm not exactly sure how this feature works yet, Ars Technica says you can "scrub" over a taskbar item to make all the other windows turn to glass. I'm guessing that means something other than hover, like maybe wiggle the cursor over it briefly? And I guess the little transparent bar on the far right of the taskbar will do it for the entire desktop as in this screenshot. I think this is a pretty neat idea.
    Click for full size

Full article here -- http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...windows-7.html

What do you think?
    Last edited by Rumpy; 29 Oct 2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: /simg

Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    What do you think?
    I'll buy long on Apple.

3. Looks like a collection of subtle horrors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. Looks like Vista ... 2.0. I stick with Vista.

also shouldn't this be in Circuit Board?
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

5. What about Windows Vista?

6. I don't see any use for any of this shit. "New ways to hide functionality from the user!" Awesome.

7. And I just bought a fucking laptop with fucking Vista.

Fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    Looks like Vista ... 2.0. I stick with Vista.
    That's basically what it is. They keep calling it a milestone release but it's very much built on the Vista core. So essentially they're taking Vista, fixing it, making it more compatible and this is Windows 7 (which OS certainly not the 7th release of the OS no matter how you cut it). They're still releasing it in 32 and 64 bit flavors as well which is something they originally said they wouldn't do.

9. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I don't see any use for any of this shit. "New ways to hide functionality from the user!" Awesome.
    You know there's always the options for power users and you also know they have to dumb shit down for the retard users. So don't be a retard.

10. I'll use Windows XP for work until there's a reason not to, thankyouverymuch.