Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Touhou OS X virtualization nightmare

1. Touhou OS X virtualization nightmare

Okay, so now that Netflix instant watch works on Macs and civilized web browsers, I can be done with my current Parallels installation. It doesn't do DirectX shit properly and I can't get any games to work, so yeah, it's dead to me. However, I was told that both Crossover and VMware Fusion could likely handle whatever I wanted to play, so I decided to give them both a shot today. Long story short, yeah, despite a little flakiness they're both doing 3D shit and impressing the hell out of me. Steam on OS X is nice and all, but what I really wanted to do was play Imperishable Night. Unfortunately, both of them are doing the same damn thing to me:

Crossover:
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Fusion:
    Click for full size

Click for full size

I realize this isn't a problem that a lot of people have had firsthand, but I don't have a damn clue what would be doing this in both programs, and any ideas at all would be better than what I'm working with right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossover1.png 
Views:	542 
Size:	380.9 KB 
ID:	41877   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crossover2.png 
Views:	551 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	41878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusion1.png 
Views:	548 
Size:	725.4 KB 
ID:	41879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fusion2.png 
Views:	553 
Size:	799.2 KB 
ID:	41880  

2. That looks fantastic!
    Donk

3. I still like it the other way better though

4. crossover is just wine with a purdy ui, did you snag one of those free licenses last week?

also, this probably uses some depricated, unemulated version of directx hence the wackiness in the screenshots... you're probably better off just going the boot camp route and having a native xp installation for this kind of stuff

5. Yeah, tried that, but OS X wants me to reformat before doing that and I can't right now. What's making me insane is that Crossover can do some shit just fine, like some full 3D games in Steam, and other shit won't even load. And then there's this. And both this and Fusion using the same crap-ass version of DirectX?

It's... getting there, I guess.

6. how old is this game you're trying to run? I think there was some pretty drastic changes between DirectX6 and DirectX8 (like, on the levels of DX9/10/10.1 changes) so that could very well be what's happening here

edit: just for shits & giggles, try grabbing the latest dev version of wine and running your game through that, see if it cleans anything up... their appdb says the only real problem it has is a lack of alpha transparency behind text
    Last edited by cka; 03 Nov 2008 at 02:57 AM.

7. Came out in '04, DirectX8 apparently.

8. dunno what to say then, according to this it runs fine in linux at least (aside from that alpha transparency text thing) in wine 1.1.7 (which should, by proxy, make it run just fine in crossover mac) :

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=6803

9. ugh I hate computers

They hate you too.
    Last edited by Josh; 03 Nov 2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: so do I.