Thread: Let's talk about......Akira

zidane747 Guest

Let's talk about......Akira

Yeah, I know, this has been talked about alot, but we haven't had an Akira thread in a LONG while, so, as usual, this is the place to talk about it.

2. I'm getting the final volume of the manga this week, I'll let you know what I think.
    Anyone know about the original comic that was released here? It was like 35 issues, and was in color. Was that the whole series?
    pwned by Ivan

I know that it's become in vogue to be negative towards Akira, but I still love it. It's what got me into anime (like thousands of others) and I loved to scope and look of it. I posted something in Trade Depot about the manga and I plan to pick in up, book by book, as soon as possible.

4. Well, I have a mixed feeling about Akira. On one hand its a grand animation title, that even after such a long time still have a great presence. But on the other hand, I didnt like it when I saw it. I thought it was somewhat boring, I didnt like characters much, and it was little too long. Maybe I need to rewatch it one of these days, since last time I saw it, was actualy years ago, and maybe my perception had changed since then. Who knows.....

5. No, I don't believe the marvel issues were the complete series. i don't remember the reasons why they stopped publishing them either. My friend has the entire manga series, but I haven't gotten around to reading past the second volume. You'll be amazed at how different the whole thing turns out and how events occur.

6. I remember doing an Akira-related thread a while back.

Suffice to say, I haven't read the manga, but I think the anime is one of the most influential pieces of animation ever created. Not only for the artwork, but for the huge number of underlying issues in terms of character development and plot.

It's a true brilliant masterpiece.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

7. I loved Akira, definately a very influential film indeed and a classic anime masterpiece

The second anime I ever saw, with the first being Vampire Hunter D

8. He ment original Vampire Hunter D, not the Bloodlust

Both are good films, I prefer original to the new one.