Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Oldboy Remake

1. There's a huge gulf between 105 minutes and 180. Surely they couldn't find something in, I don't know, 125?

2. Studios don't like movies that go over 2 hours. It's stupid, I know.

3. Explains why all those superhero, fantasy novel, and theme park ride movies are so short.

4. Let me rephrase that. Studios don't like movies they know will bomb to go over two hours.

5. Watched this because it went up on the Netflix.
    Wasn't horrible, but having seen the original, there wasn't much need to view this version.
    Sam Jackson was Sam Jackson.
    Josh Brolin looked younger in the later parts of the movie than he did in the earlier parts. That shouldn't be.
    Only a few Spike Lee-isms, such as the "closeup of actor being moved around on a platform while everyone else in the background is walking" thing.
    Elizabeth Olsen naked.
    The twist to the twist was obvious.
    Micheal Imperioli was wasted in his role.
    Chickenshit ending.
    On its own standing, it had an interesting story and I could see giving it a B- if it were its own thing.
    But the story was told in a much better way a decade earlier. With its budget and cast, it really should have been better. I drop it to a D.
    I will say that the hotel fight scene was pretty neat, and was cut in a fashion where you could actually see what was happening. D+

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Chickenshit ending.
    Yeah? Spoil it for me pls.

7. After some wailing and crying, Brolin writes a letter to his daughter/lover and gives her a pile of cash to go find herself a new life and then goes back to the hotel to live the rest of his days as a prisoner. No self mutilation, no trying to work things so he can be with his daughter. Oh, and it was a father/daughter relationship that started the whole thing, not brother/sister. So one is left wondering why the fuck the brother would care so much about Brolin. The way the story plays out in this one, Brolin catches dad fucking sister and then tells people she's a whore (because that's what someone would report had they seen someone getting down with their own father.) Dad then moves family to England, where he kills everyone including himself. But! The brother's wound wasn't fatal after all! So brother facilitates this whole thing to get revenge on Brolin. But without the brother/sister incest, the motivation seems very weak. "Yeah, my dad fucked my sister a lot, but that was fine! It was you calling sis a mean name that ruined everything!" Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I could see this elaborate scheme set up over the loss of a lover who happened to be a sister, not a sister who happened to fuck our father.

8. I can kind of see it because people will usually push blame on others instead of themselves and their family regardless of how messed up the logic is, but it still seems pretty dumb. Whatever.

9. Holding a grudge and trying to fuck someone's life up immediately? I can understand that.
    Going to the lengths and expense that this necessitated? That's some next level shit.