Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Oldboy Remake

1. Oldboy Remake

From The Guardian:

Spielberg and Smith plot Oldboy remake

Steven Spielberg and Will Smith are planning to collaborate on a remake of Park Chan-wook's Oldboy, according to Variety. The pair, who have been looking for a project to work on together for some time, are said to be in early discussions about reworking the acclaimed Korean thriller, which centres on a man who is kidnapped and held in a dirty cell for 15 years without explanation.

Smith would play the imprisoned man - Choi Min-sik in the 2003 original - who is freed just as he is about to put an escape plan into practice. He is given money, clothes and a mobile phone and sets out to discover who stole his life from him in order to take revenge.

A direct remake would seem to be particularly dark territory for both Spielberg and Smith, as the original contains a number of family-unfriendly themes and sequences, such as the famous live octopus sushi scene. Spielberg is currently said to be searching for a writer.

The original Oldboy was a huge favourite of Quentin Tarantino, who tried to persuade his fellow Cannes jurists to award it the Palme d'Or in 2004. In the end they plumped for the safer territory of Fahrenheit 9/11. It remains to be seen whether Smith and Spielberg will end up making a similar decision.
    This is why you all need to stop seeing these fucking remakes.

2. What the fuck, you can't be serious about this.

3. lol

4. I find the choice of WIll Smith odd...Clive Owen would have been the ideal dude.

people weren't complaining when scorcese remade Infernal Affairs with The Departed. (i thought IA was better, probably because I saw that one first)

i just hope they don't rip off the hammer thumping corridor scene
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

5. STUPID

Why remake a movie, not called "The Hulk", thats only three years old? Not to mention the fact that the original movie is a borderline classic that really can't be improved upon. If they go through with re-making this, I imagine it will be about as mediocre as "I Am Legend" and "I Robot."

EDIT - I obviously can't do math at 7 a.m......"Old Boy" is five years old, not three. Oh well, a remake is still retarded.
    Last edited by magnifiedplaid; 08 Nov 2008 at 10:55 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Klonoa View Post
    I find the choice of WIll Smith odd...
    I think the fact that Will Smith is the current number one Hollywood money-maker may have something to do with it.

P.S. - I'll watch this.

7. So, who is Shia LaBeouf (sp?) going to play in the Old Boy remake?

8. will smiths daughter

9. If they keep Will Smith's character's name Choi Min-sik... well, I still won't see it.

I'm going to hold out for the Bollywood remake of the Hollywood version.

10. Quote Originally Posted by D_N_G View Post
    will smiths daughter
    hahahaha...it would be very amusing to see him play Will Smith's daughter in the context of this particular movie. LOL.