Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freelancing

1. Freelancing

This serves a selfish purpose, actually. I've been freelancing for the past month with a toy company, but the workload has withered up a bit. I know they like my style and turn around time, but they just haven't got as much stuff available at the moment.

That got me looking for more clients. So far I've found nada through creative hotlist, monster, and the agency representation I have. However I know these cover creative needs in a broader sense. I'm looking to narrow more in on opportunities for illustration in animation, toys...heck, greeting cards and paper products if I could swing it. Though it involves pushing my work in a new direction and to new eyes.

I figured this thread could serve as just some general freelancing info, story swaps, and whatnot. My major interest though is hearing from people who've done freelance for a while now, and what pointers they could offer in taking a huge amount of hard work and enthusiasm (which I have) into the right channels and venues which will create the most exposure (which I don't so far).
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. everything i hear from my freelance pals involves just constantly trying to sell yourself. sending out samples of your work (constantly) is a good way to start. i've done this on and off for the past few years (since being out of school) with mixed results. most of the time i just get an e-mail saying "we like your stuff we'll contact you" and that's pretty much it. but...i honestly haven't sent out as much as i should.

also, send out samples of stuff that you really like to do...or something that is unique to your style or prefference. these kinds of pieces usually stand out more than just the "oh, i can do life drawings and cartoons" kinda stuff.

i hear a lot of freelance work is drying up with the way the economy is. most places are either sticking with the people they have (not hiring new illustrators) or just sticking with a few people to do more work to keep costs down or whatever. it kinda sucks.

3. well, that's why I heard freelancing might be the way to work for the next few years. I know when I was working at Disney they tried to get as much as they could done with freelancers and doubling up on work responsibilities. Hiring a new employee was almost out of the question.

In a sense, I hope at least this ethic works - if something needs to be done on time and on budget, a freelancer works out better than hiring a new full timer. If that arguement holds, then it's just a matter of finding the right work that we'd fit into.

4. I know I'm not an artist, but I am a freelancer, and I think it pays to be really dilligent and reach out to as many people as humanly possible. It's just a numbers game, really.

5. I made more money as a freelancer, but I get health insurance working in a studio. So there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Yeah - I've been without healthcare for like, 5 years now. It was scary when last year It seemed like an ulcer had me bleeding from the stomach (?!) but I just stuck it out and got better.

So - diplomacy in getting paid. I waited the customary 30 days from the time of my first invoice, only to be told today I'll have to wait another 3 weeks. I can't afford that shit, but I can't go apeshit and lose my as-of-now only client. Suggestions?

I was thinking maybe quick one-off commissioned work, but I don't have a fan base as an artist per se - just a strong reputation for being diligent and on-time with companies.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post

So - diplomacy in getting paid. I waited the customary 30 days from the time of my first invoice, only to be told today I'll have to wait another 3 weeks. I can't afford that shit, but I can't go apeshit and lose my as-of-now only client. Suggestions?
    I was just about to post this, but you're always going to get screwed on freelance work. Don't be afraid to constantly bother them for your paycheck (in a polite way). Also, try and set as my rules as you can at the outset regarding payment- things like rate, # of revisions you'll do before charging more, timeline for payment etc.

I was thinking maybe quick one-off commissioned work
    This is a waste of time.

Whenever you send out portfolios, try and tailor them to the specific job as much as possible. Unfortunately no one is capable of looking at good drawings and realizing you can adapt to what they want if it isn't already there. Pick a specific thing you want to do and get good at it, focusing your portfolio in that direction. Also take those figure drawings out, no one cares.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Also take those figure drawings out, no one cares.
    LOL, you're are the first person who's ever said this!

9. It's kind of true, though. Put yourself in the guy reviewing the portfolio's shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Nonono, I understand - you need to see quickly if a guy can do the work. But all the professionals and teachers I've spoken with until now say that roving you have fundamentals are important, blahblahblah. I think the proof's in the pudding - besides would I know nothing of foundational concepts and try to cheat my way into an industry that would know my lie pretty quick? Nope.

Other topic - diversification or specification? Teachers told me that in order to get work I would have to be good at just one thing, and one thing only. Working from Disney, I was told the opposite - while you want one thing you're pretty damn good at, being flexible is also a plus. In fact, it's how I got that job - I had both design and illustration experience and skill. I was hired with this toy company even without toy experience because I had a good style, and asked back because I could make quick turnaround time. However at what point does one need to zero in on just that "one thing" that makes your career?