Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate Kid remake

1. Karate Kid remake

Looks like Big Willie Style's afro-laden brat is all set to inherit the shitty film remake business from daddy...

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

Jaden Smith set for 'Karate Kid' redo
    Columbia taps Chris Murphy to write script
    By MICHAEL FLEMING
    'The Karate Kid'

Columbia Pictures is back in the dojo with a new version of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid," which has been refashioned as a star vehicle for Jaden Smith.
    The film will be produced by Jerry Weintraub (who launched the original franchise) and Overbrook Entertainment's James Lassiter, Will Smith and Ken Stovitz. Will Smith, who is the 10-year-old actor's father, co-starred alongside Jaden in his feature debut, "The Pursuit of Happyness," which Overbrook and Escape Artists produced for Columbia.

The script is being written by Chris Murphy, and the film will shoot next year in Beijing and other cities. While the new film will be set in that exotic locale, it will borrow elements of the original plot, wherein a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor.

China Film Group Corp. will co-produce in China.

The younger Smith, who next stars in "The Day the Earth Stood Still," is a martial arts practitioner.

Columbia presidents Doug Belgrad and Matt Tolmach said they had been trying to find a way to bring back the series, which began with three films that featured Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita. A subsequent film launched the career of Hilary Swank.
    Enough with the fucking remakes already...
    Last edited by Dolemite; 11 Nov 2008 at 10:44 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. I love the phrase "star vehicle".

3. That kid's gonna be HUGE! Just you wait!

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. The premise of "The Karate Kid" only works with teenage villains and protagonists and their teenage angst. A 10 (11?) year-old in the role does not get my hopes up.

Not to mention the original was perfect with the single best montage to come out of the 80's. A remake won't have that level of cheese. Or at least that brand of cheese. And that's the kind of cheese "The Karate Kid" needs.

This is a horrible fucking idea.

6. Cheebs is correct on all points.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    The premise of "The Karate Kid" only works with teenage villains and protagonists and their teenage angst. A 10 (11?) year-old in the role does not get my hopes up.

Not to mention the original was perfect with the single best montage to come out of the 80's. A remake won't have that level of cheese. Or at least that brand of cheese. And that's the kind of cheese "The Karate Kid" needs.
    You're the best... ARRROOOOUUUUND...
    Nothing's ever gonna keep ya down...
    "with new weapons perceived some disquieting movement"

8. This is a very bad idea.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. This is going to be remembered about as well as a Three Ninjas sequel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. A what?