Page 1 of 47 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Indie Games Thread

1. Xbox Indie Games Thread

There's already a ton of stuff up and it's only gonna get worse, so let's help each other sift through the crap.

This morning I played a handful of titles' trial versions, quick impressions:

Weapon of Choice- Pretty awesome. Basically Contra through a psychedilic filter. Only supports 1 player, unfortunately.

Smashell- Graphically impressive, but the gameplay seems a little barebones. You're in a small arena where top-like enemies spawn, and you have to jump on their heads. Little bonus buttons pop up incrementally that do stuff like place fruit to collect around the stage, and some offer upgrades (double jump was all I got in the demo). It seems like it might be a little misrepresented by the demo time limit, as enemies populate the area more and more and if it had gone on a bit longer, you could string a longer combo of jumping from enemy to enemy.

Blow- Set fans around a stage to blow bubbles towards objectives. Seemed pretty neat, but once again the 4 min time limit of demos betrays it, as I only got to see tutorial stages and I'm not even sure those had introduced all the gameplay elements yet. Visually, looks very professional, has a very consistent elvish/new agey look.

Artoon- Definitely the most impressive game visually, but gameplay seems a little lacking in challenge. Move a bouncing ball along a 3D space to turn all the tiles on the playfield a different color, sort of like Q*Bert. Every stage has distinctly different graphical style; one was kind of crayon-shaded like Valkyria Chronicles, one was cel-shaded, one had a pixelated filter (and when you rotated the stage it would mess up the V-hold, very interesting). If it gets as creative with the gameplay later on as it does with the stages, could be good stuff... once again, the demo time limit gets in the way of figuring out whether this is the case or not.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 09 Aug 2009 at 09:37 PM.

2. Gladiator or Coliseum or whatever seemed to be the most popular one. Live was giving me tons of problems today, so I didn't get a chance to try it. Did anyone?

Yeah a lot of this shit isn't quite working right now. New party system is much slicker. I wonder if Yoshi's avatar looks like him...
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Is it black?

5. I don't think a dog catcher outfit is one of the options.

6. I want to download Biology Battle and something else that escapes me at the moment...but I can't. Only having trouble with those two games.

Duotris is fanfuckingtastic. But then again it was back on the PC as well.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

7. Biology Battle is awesome, but I suck at these sort of games, so it's a no buy for me.
    Coliseum sucks. It's a good idea and the combat is fine, but it's way too slow.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

8. Yeah, Biology Battle is the next best thing to Geometry Wars. But therein lies the problem, it's hard to pay the same price for a competent knock-off of GW1 as one would pay for the more competent official sequel to GW1. 400 points and it would have been a lock.

And I agree, Colosseum is awful.

9. Microsoft really needs to allow Community games to have achievement points. Maybe just 50 total, but they need to have it. Original Xbox games should be the only thing on the service without it.

Unlocking those achievements in Biology Battle just isn't the same.

"All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

10. People would inevitably put easy-ass achievements in their games just to drive sales, instead of relying solely on the merits of their game. I'm perfectly fine with it as-is.

Tried Snake 360 this morning. Extremely well-done version of Snake, looks to have tons of levels and pretty robust features. I'll definitely be buying the full version.