Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indie Rock Thread!

1. I had that problem for a long time as well Frog. Mainly what I did to get into more bands was get music from off of my friends who got it from somewhere. The amount of bands and music I have computer has tripled since I've gotten to college because I met a guy who shares all of his albums over the network. So I've got a huge cache of different bands and types of music to listen to now. It's pretty nice.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda
    I like indie rock, but I find it to be a hard scene to get into unless you want to be really into it. I love Modest Mouse and Spoon. I like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Built to Spill. But I usually just don't know where to look.
    Well I'm always willing to give lists of recommendations, so PM me if you want one.

You can also look back through this thread, there are several posts that I have made that include lists made to others, in fact my second post on the previous page has a lot of classic early to mid 90's indie rock, alot of unquestionably good (IMO . ) music.

JM

3. Just got "IV" by the Fucking Champs. Wanted to remind everyone of how cool this album is and wanted to get slapped for taking so long to actually get it.

4. My radio show airs this Thursday at 8PM and can be heard through http://www.cnu.edu/clubs/wcnu/. I don't think the station is broadcasting yet however.

Here's the current list we have set up for this week:
    DJ Shadow - High Noon
    Bob Dylan - Like A Rolling Stone (Live 1966)
    The Long Winters - Blue Diamonds
    Reggie and the Full Effect - What Won't Kill You Eats Gas
    Rolling Stones - Gimmie Shelter
    Saetia - Open Letter
    The Faint - Glass Danse
    Midtown - Secret Song
    Milemarker - Shrink To Fit
    The Strokes - Reptilia
    Minus The Bear - Spritz!! Spritz!!
    The Dismemberment Plan- Gyroscope
    The Black Keys - Thick Freakness
    Chuck Berry - Maybellene
    Pavement - Trigger Cut, Wounded-Kite at 17
    At The Drive-In - Sleepwark Capsules
    Built To Spill - The Plan
    Pretty Girls Make Graves - All Medicated Geniuses
    The Rapture - Heaven
    Rocket From the Crypt - Drop Out
    Dizzee Rascal - Fix Up, Look Sharp
    My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday
    Interpol - Obstacle 2
    Guided By Voices - Beat Your Wings
    Radiohead - 2 + 2 = 5
    The Cure - Close To Me
    The Shins - So Says I
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    The Decemberists - Billy Liar
    Fugazi - Full Disclosure
    Cursive - The Martyr
    Bright Eyes - Something Vague
    Desparecidos - Mall of America
    Weezer - The Good Life

They won't be played in this order, I still need to work that out.

5. i love saetia

6. Yeah I think they're a great band but friend of mine was telling me the other night how big of a mistake it was putting them in my show. He mainly thought this because he really really hates Saetia.

I think they're pretty good though, not my favorite band of the genre but good nonetheless.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K

Pretty Girls Make Graves - All Medicated Geniuses
    One of the best rock songs this year for sure.
    I thought you were gay.... i guess not.

8. WCNU is still having computer challenges. We are working with IT to
    get these
    resolved, but we are not broadcasting this week. An e-mail will be
    sent to
    inform DJs when the station is back on the air. I apologize for any
    confustion or misinformation on this subject.
    Program Director, WCNU
    Wonderful.

As for Pretty Girls Make Graves, HA I'M SEEING THEM SATURDAY NIGHT AT UVA!

9. I didn't see either of these albums mentioned anywhere in the thread, so I thought I'd throw them out there as recommendations for any shoegazer fans:
    Manitoba - Up In Flames
    Sweet Trip - Velocity : Design : Comfort
    Both are from 2003 and both mix the classic shoegazer-type aesthetic with electronic elements to great effect. Highly recommended.

A couple other cool things I've picked up recently that may be of interest to some here:
    Complete Recordings by Black Tambourine - can be compared to early Jesus & Mary Chain (think a less abrasive Psychocandy) but with a female singer. Members of this band went on to form the early-90's indie band Velocity Girl.

The Aislers Set - saw them open for the Shins recently and they were great. Very cool and catchy pop/punk, also with a female singer. "The Last Match" is their best, but I like all three of their albums a lot.

10. LAVISH GREEN!!!

Awesome music, rock with some dub thrown in for good measure...cool dudes to. Saw em on Saturday.

Warsaw is another one of my indie favs.