Page 1 of 30 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Indie Rock Thread!

1. The Indie Rock Thread!

Hey

I'd like this to be a thread for all the indie fans here on the boards. I know there are a few, so lets hear it. Recent purchases, Favorite bands, New discoveries or maybe older bands no one eles has heard of.

Also if anyone has any questions about any of the music in the thread, I'm sure we would be glad to answer any questions.

I guess I'll start out with a list of my favorite bands.

My bloody Valentine
    Swervedriver
    Rollerskate Skinny
    Built To Spill
    Lilys
    Sebadoh (Freed man - Bakesale)
    Sonic Youth
    Modest Mouse
    Caustic resin

Thats all for now.

JM

2. Wooooooo! This is my kinda thread. Would you be so kind, JM, to list all your albums on that one thread about cd collections (forgot its name, its on the first page I think)? Lets see, Loveless is such a great album, how does there other stuff compare? You know that K. Shields is working with Primal Scream? He produced two tracks off of Xtrmntr, and played guitar on Accelorator (which is intense). Xtrmntr is a good album too, political psychedelic dance music. Last I heard he is still working on a new My Bloody Valentine album. Swervedriver, I've heard a little about them, they are a guitar driven band like MBV, right? What kind of band is Rollerskate Skinny? Also, is that the band Kid Silver used to be in? Built to Spill is one of the best bands around today. Doug is a guitar god, I have an mp3 of them covering Free Bird, and at the end Doug is thanking everyone and he doens't sound like he's broke a sweat or anything. Lilys, who are they? Oh Inverted World, is that there album? Sebadoh is great, III is my favorite, do you know where Eric Gaffney is? The Folk Implosion's (Lou's electronic pop group) One Part Lullabye is a good album, if you like Lou's vocals you'd probably dig it. Sonic Youth is one of my all time favorite groups. Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West was probably the FIRST indie rock album I ever bought (back in 98). I was obsessed with that album at the time, and bought up everything they did pretty much (I've recently sold it all except Lonesome to a friend). Coustic Resin, I have the ep they did with Built to Spill. I know the lead singer used to be in Built to Spill.
    Hmmmm, I reccomend Dinosaur Jr.'s Your Living All Over Me. You seem to like guitar bands, and Dinosaur was one the best. Lou Barlow played bass with them, and alot of Sebadoh's III songs are about Dinosaur's frontman (J. Mascis), especially Freed Pig. Lou even has a Sebadohish song on the album. But yeah, you won't find many guitar bands that can best Dinosaur Jr. outside of MVB and Sonic Youth (Lee Ranaldo is on Living, shouting on one song). THE greatest indie band (or the band that best personafied indie), and the one group people connect with indie is Pavement. I'm sure you've heard of them. Slanted and Enchanted, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, and Brighten the Corners are three of the best albums from the last decade. If you like indie rock, then Slanted is probably the one I'd reccomend hightest.
    Allright people, lets make this thread TWICE as big as the metal thread!
    pwned by Ivan

3. Anyone else listening to the new Hot Snakes album? Good stuff.
    God is Rome

4. Hot Snakes? Tell me about them.
    pwned by Ivan

Cutty Guest
    JM, you know how to drag me back in!

My Bloody Valentine is amazing, my favorites being Loveless and Ecstasy and Wine.
    Supercollider is another favorite in the shoegaze vein of things.

Hot Snakes are awesome, but I haven't heard their new one. How does it stack up to Automatic Midnight?

On the slightly quieter side, Joel R.L. Phelps (of Silkworm fame) is rulin'. Blackbird is one of my favorite records ever.

For drinking songs, nothing beats Frog Eyes.

And I'm sure a lot of you like the Guided By Voices.

Motor Away!

6. I read up on Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu, and Pitchfork at Amazon. Who made the best record between the three?

Guided by Voices? "When you motor away, beyond the once red lips...".

I downloaded a song off of Silkworm new album, and I really like it. What other Silkworm stuff do you reccomend? I also got some mp3s of the Crust Brothers (members of Silkworm plus Stephen Malkmus), doing alot of cover songs for some forest benefit.
    pwned by Ivan

Heh, I only discovered Modest Mouse by accident. Olly wears a Modest Mouse shirt in the Sifl & Olly: The Lost Episodes DVD and I kept trying to figure out what the hell it was. Lo and behold, its an indie rock band.

8. Where have you seen indie rock on tv and movies and such? There was a Pavement poster, a Belle and Sebastian song, and a more stuff in High Fidelity. There was an episode of Mr. Show where David had a Creeper Lagoon shirt on. There was an episode of Upright Citizens Brigade where someone had a Yo La Tengo shirt. This movie called Safe Men had a scene where everyone danced to SY's Kool Thing.
    pwned by Ivan

9. Hey

Hi Green, I'm not gonna list all my albums, Ive got around 650 CDs, 200 albums & 100 or so 45s. Way too much typing for me. I can't answer all of your questions right now, but I'll get some.

I dig Valentine stuff from Isn't Anything up to present day. If you dig loveless, find the Glider EP & Tremelo Ep, They have more Loveless era stuff on them.

Swervedriver is the shit, plain & simple. Mezcal Head is, IMO, the best british rock album of the 90's. Maybe best rock album of the 90's period.

BTS is just lovely. Doug is my favorite american songwriter. I saw them in Houston last year & they played Freebird as their last song. They had Bret Netson from Caustic resin & the guitar player from the delusions onstage for a triple guitar attack! That show was worth the 6 year wait to see them.

I love Dinosaur Jr. & have been listening to them for about 9 years now. I also dig the older Sebadoh stuff, I have damn near every album, ep & 7" they have ever put out. I even have The Freed Man & Weed Forestin on vinyl. They took those albums & cut off half the songs on each & combined them to make The Freed Weed CD.

The Lilys are a great band sometimes, decent at other times. Back in the Mid 90's they were a stunning Shoegaze band, but have moved on to a more 60's pop sound, as so many gazers seem to do. See if you can find Eccsame the Photon Band, it is their best album & one of my top 5 albums of all time. Good luck though, it is quite out of print. =(
    The album you were thinking of is Oh Inverted World by the Shins. It is really nice, & I reccommend picking it up.

Rollerskate Skinny is one of the most criminaly overlooked bands ever. It is the same guy from Kid Silver, but the Album Horse drawn Wishes is WAY better than the Kid Silver album. RUN out & find this CD! Once you get it, spend about the next 3 months with quality headphones on. I have been listening to that album regularly for 5 years & I still find new sounds all the time. It is my #3 album of all time.

Outo of Drive Like Jehu & Hot Snakes, I'd say the best album is Yank Crime by Jehu. Rick Froberg is my favorite screamer! that album rocks in all the right ways. Kinda like math rock before there was math rock, but with hariy Nuts, if you know what I mean.

That is pretty much all I have time for now, If you have any questions about Shoegaze music, British indie stuff, or Northwestern Indy, (BTS, Modest Mouse, etc.) just ask, I have allocated at least 80% of my brain towards useless music trivia.

Oh! Hey Cutty! I still haven't heard of a new Hot Snakes album since Automatic Midnight, what is it called?

Later

JM

10. Ichabod? Could that be my old pal JackSkellington?

If so, how the hell have you been doing?

JM