Thread: Kubuntu 8.10

1. Kubuntu 8.10

One of the hard drives on one of my computers died so since I didn't have a spare copy of XP lying around I decided to install Kubuntu and dick around with it. I was told that it's the most user friendly version of Linux out there but when I put my hands on it I realized that I don't know what the fuck I'm doing.

So anybody got any cool tips or apps i could install It'd be really cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Shake
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

2. RTFM noob

The software repository should have just about anything you would need for day-to-day use.
    What kind of apps are you looking for, specifically?

3. Anything really, I guess a media player would be nice. I was thinking about maybe VLC but they don't have a DL link for the UBUNTU version on their website.
    Look, Yes. I have banged hundreds of broads...internationally. But know this, I wrap my rascal 2 times. 'Cause I like it to be joyless and without sensation, as a way of punishing super-models.

4. you should have just went with regular ubuntu, imo kde blows ass and gnome is their primary platform for a window manager... also, to install stuff use the package manager that comes installed (I think it's called 'adept' in kde, in gnome it's called 'synaptic') or rough it on the console with apt-get

as far as console goes, it's basically this:
    • sudo apt-get install vlc
    • (enter your password here)
    • probably hit Y here to download all the accompanying packages
    • wait 30 seconds for it to finish
    • use VLC to play media

it's even easier with the GUI

edit: a useful meta-package you might want to install is ubuntu-restricted-extras (this installs all kinds of video/audio codecs, microsoft truetype fonts, flash, java, etc. automatically)
    Last edited by cka; 26 Nov 2008 at 02:44 AM.

5. Cool man thanks, real quick though do you have to be online to that stuff? (I'm not at my home PC right now)

6. I think it depends on the program. It can't hurt to try.

7. yeah you have to be online, it downloads from a set of mirrors that ubuntu has set up

they might also be on the cd, but I wouldn't count on that

8. Ack no webbernets for the time being so i guess I won't be doing much with it but it really seems cool...Is there anything I can do with it while it's offline?

9. I think it comes with a bunch of crappy games you can play

10. Set your visual effects to extra, open up a window, and watch them wobble. zOMG!! COMPIZ FUSION!