Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Laptop (again)

1. New Laptop (again)

laptop is getting full, hd is full, it doesn't game well and frankly I've outgrown it. It is full of music, 2 operating systems, and movies/comics. I love OSX but I've got a bit of extra cash around and I'm debating picking up a new notebook. My first choice is an apple refurb, either current gen, or the Au last gen notebook. Price is about 700 difference but as always i want a problem free notebook. The current macbook has been a dream software wise (no crashes, dataloss, virus, spyware) but the hardware has design flaws which make me nervous.
    Current options:

Last gen Macbook Pro, Pros: cheap, last iteration of the hardware is usually the best, proven design, drivers are solid and patched. Rugged casing can take the bumps Cons: Obsolete, bit slower, suport in the future maybe dodgy.

Current gen MBP Pro: Powerful, good video card, battery life, future support, pretty. Con: Design flaws haven't really surfaced yet, pricy, unproven

Windows or Linux Laptop: Pro: Gamer friendly, cheaper Con: Notes don't translate over well, unsupported for OSX, loss of data potentially, unknown design flaws, lack luster support potientally.

So what can TNL contribute.

Get a last gen macbook and install windows on it for playing games.

3. current gen macbook pros (i also believe the macbooks) have easily accessible and easily replaceable hard drives.
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

You play WoW don't you? Get a desktop.

Laptop for gaming = fail

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo View Post
    You play WoW don't you? Get a desktop.

Laptop for gaming = fail
    Eh, I have a 2 year old MacBook Pro and it's still going strong with WoW, even the nicer looking Northrend shit. One of my roommates has the one right before the most recent upgrade and he plays CoD4 on it and it looks pretty good, so I dunno.

Current gen MacBook Pros are a first rev Apple product, which is almost always asking for trouble. Not to mention that they're lacking FireWire altogether, both 400 and 800. That is total horseshit. Get the old one.

edit: Okay, the new Pro has a single FW800 port. NOT GOOD ENOUGH!
    Last edited by Grave; 02 Dec 2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: accuracy

The new macbook pro looks stupid too.

7. I have the older model MBP and apparently even though there is a firewire 400 and firewire 800 port there is only one firewire bus, so speedwise there is no difference if you just a 400->800 adapter with the new mbp. And because 800 is backwards compatible it just means the pinout is different and the cable should be cheap. But the real scandal is that mini displayport crap. why no hdmi or dvi or regular displayport? screw that.
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

8. I really like the new macbook pro despite the glossy screen but I'm wondering fi it worth ditching OSX (which i love) and all the cool programs i like for it (jounaler, ebinhaus, and such) for a better gamer's machine. I'm resigned to spending about ~2k no matter what so the price isn't much of an issue. The other issue is i'm wondering if the extra performance is worth giving up my favorite programs just so i can get 140 frames over 70 on the mbp. OR play Crysis Warhead on medium v. low.

ASUS G Series G50VT-A2 Intel Core 2 Duo T9400(2.53GHz) 15.4" Wide SXGA+ 4GB Memory 640GB HDD BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS NoteBook - Retail - $1900 @ new egg.
    Tech: Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology
    Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium
    CPU Type: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 2.53G
    Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+
    Memory Size: 4GB DDR2
    Hard Disk: 640GB
    Optical Drive: BD Combo
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS

Is alternative #1 it is a little cheaper than the macbook and much better equipped. Top end video card (900 on 3dmark 2006 v. mbp 6500), 3x the hd, 2x the ram and a warranty better than apple's out of box, also cheaper. But i find the casing fugly and i'm told it is quiet but i'd like it to be super quiet like the mac.

Alternative #2
    Sager np8600
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/product....php?pid=90599
    same deal, better case, slightly better video card, but would have to drop an extra 300 on warranty, 2gb ram smaller drive by default. making it more expensive than the mbp. But the performance is king on this one and it looks pretty, no idea how noisy it is.
    Last edited by MarsKitten; 07 Dec 2008 at 05:10 AM.

I think you just need to find out what is more important to you, power or pizazz.

10. I love them both!