Thread: Installing my DVDs on my Hard Drive

1. Installing my DVDs on my Hard Drive

For a long time I've been using DVD Decrypter to rip my movies onto my hard drive in order to have it shared between my roomates and I. It's much easier for us to watch this way instead of waiting for another person to finish with a DVD and it lets me store my DVDs instead of having to keep them around when I want to watch them. Lately, however, Sony's many studios have started using a more aggressive type of anti-piracy software that does not allow DVD Decrypter to copy these DVDs. It's incredibly annoying since I cannot get Iron Man or Step Brothers onto my HDD and have to keep the DVDs around instead of sending it to my parents' place for storage.

Are there any other programs that will allow me to make a copy of a DVD and use it as an .mpg file? I've tried AnyDVD and DVD Fab but both do not allow me to make the files into an .mpg. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Again: I do NOT want to burn them onto DVDs I just want to copy them onto my harddrive so I do not have to keep DVDs in my apartment.

2. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    tried AnyDVD and DVD Fab but both do not allow me to make the files into an .mpg.
    It just won't allow me to save it onto my HDD as a playable file. It gave me video problems. I think I have a runaround with a virtual drive after the security sectors were removed through another program but that's quite cumbersome.

3. You could just download someone else's rip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

4. It really isn't all that hard. There are many different ways to do it and as well as tons of different programs. It also depends if you need to convert and compress it or if you have the software to watch the VIDEO_TS folder directly. I know on the mac, DVDPlayer can do this, so there is no need for converting for compressing and the movie is at 100% quality, albeit a huge file. For windows, you may need a paid DVD watching program that can play the VIDEO_TS folder. If you have the software, a program like DVDDecrypter should do the job just fine. It's been a while since I used it, but I am pretty sure you can get the VIDEO_TS folder using it. If not, there are plenty of other programs that do this.

Now if you can't use just the VIDEO_TS folder, then you need encoding software. Depending on the quality you want, you may have to find the right program. Back on the PC, I just used one of the many Videora programs. They can convert for iPod, 360, PS3, etc. and should be able to convert it so you can watch it on the comp. I know you've supposedly tried this before, but I am still certain you were just being retarded and doing it wrong. Also, google the shit out of the subject. It is so easy to find other forums that have step by step guides using a multiple of different software setups.