Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A 32GB solid state hard drive for $100, worth grabbing?

1. solid state=no moving parts. Hard Disk Drive=moving parts.

next thing you know its going to be slang for hard on

3. I just had an idea; my Creative Zen Touch uses a 40GB IDE laptop hard drive. Perhaps I could swap it out for this and turn it into a 32GB flash mp3 player. It's shitty speed shouldn't really matter when it's just reading 5mb files.

4. Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    so standard hard drives have parts that burn out much sooner than the life of the hard drive and require the owner to personally replace them?

cause solid state = you ain't gotta fix shit, ever
    Most Hard drives won't die before you end up with a new computer, and no you can't replace any parts in a hard drive. If one part goes the whole hard drive does.

Solid State drives however have limits to how many times you can write data to them, the number is different depending on if its a single layer or multi-layer solid state drive. They're also a shit load more expensive.

Right now on newegg you can get a 1.5tb traditional hard drive for 140 bucks. A 250gb solid state drive will cost you 650 bucks on newegg. To get the same storage space it would cost you 3,900 dollars.

For now solid state drives make sense for laptops, they're really not a good solution in a desktop set up. Maybe if the memory modules ever become affordable in large memory sizes, but who knows when that will be.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo View Post
    Man, whatever happened to those good old tube-drives? Those transferred data so much warmer and punchier.
    You know what's funny, early laserdisc players actually did use tube based lasers. Around the mid 80's they were dropped though for lasers closer to modern ones, and the last few high end laser disc players used really good modern red lasers, which totally eliminated the crosstalk that was typical of the older lasers, because their lasers couldn't be focused as finely.

The more you know. :star:
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Most Hard drives won't die before you end up with a new computer, and no you can't replace any parts in a hard drive. If one part goes the whole hard drive does.
    Fuh. If you're lucky or you swap computers every other year. And yes you can, you just have to be that good.
    Donk