Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A 32GB solid state hard drive for $100, worth grabbing?

1. A 32GB solid state hard drive for $100, worth grabbing?

My Acer Aspire 5600's 100GB ATA/IDE drive crashed on me today (loud grinding and clicking sounds, won't boot up) so I started looking for a new one today. I could only find SATA notebook drives in stores, and it doesn't look like my laptop's motherboard can take SATA. Then I saw this (a 32GB solid state hard drive for $100). I love the idea of a crash-proof HD, even if it is only 32GB, and every other solid state drive I've seen is over $500. Is this a good option, or should I just order an old fashioned IDE hard drive off newegg?

2. slc or mlc?

if I remember right, slc based ssds fucking blow (like the one in my Aspire One) and mlc based ssds are fucking awesome

edit: just saw it's mlc, so you might as well (plus it's only $100, so I'm sure staples would exchange it for store credit and/or a regular ata/sata hdd)

edit 2: I had it backwards, slc is the good stuff and mlc is the cheap stuff (fun reading time!)
    Last edited by cka; 26 Dec 2008 at 09:59 PM.

3. mlc or not, don't expect the same write you'd get from a hdd.

4. It's MLC. I found a couple reviews; it's essentially just a cheap 32GB thumbdrive with an IDE hookup. Horrible read/write speeds (20mb/s). I did, however, uncover two pretty impressive IDE notebook drives: a Samsung 160 GB single platter drive (insanely fast with low power consumption) for about $60 and a Western Digital 250 GB drive (slightly less fast, more power consumption, but more durable and 90 gigs bigger) for $100 at Best Buy. I'm leaning towards the 250GB.

5. yeah fuck it, go with what's tested and true

question: do they make a modern hard drive that isn't solid state?

7. Solid state hard drives make up a small percentage of the hard drives produced. They're still extremely expensive.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Quote Originally Posted by buttcheeks View Post
    question: do they make a modern hard drive that isn't solid state?
    Man, whatever happened to those good old tube-drives? Those transferred data so much warmer and punchier.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Solid state hard drives make up a small percentage of the hard drives produced. They're still extremely expensive.
    so standard hard drives have parts that burn out much sooner than the life of the hard drive and require the owner to personally replace them?

cause solid state = you ain't gotta fix shit, ever

Quote Originally Posted by Mykozo View Post
    Man, whatever happened to those good old tube-drives? Those transferred data so much warmer and punchier.
    you know what I hate? When they used those shitty groove tubes in your hard drive. You'd end up paying $50 more for a hard drive because of those stupid things. And don't even get me started on trying to match tubes if you own more than one hard drive.