Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Suggestions Wanted

1. Network Attached Storage (NAS) - Suggestions Wanted

So I'm looking for something that I can backup multiple PC/Mac's to that will share files easily to each (and PS3/Xbox 360, etc). Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm looking in the 1TB range of space, with a pricetag that isn't too insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

2. There are lots of options if you want to install the hard drive(s) yourself, which you should, because it's cheaper.
    I can't make any specific recommendations since I've never had a NAS setup of my own.

3. Well, with a NAS you're not going to be able to share content with your 360 unless you go through your PC/Mac first. PS3 can stream if it has media options, but they don't always work right.

For example I have a 1TB Iomega StorCenter that I got for $150 at Fry's a few months ago, but the media server option doesn't work with PS3 for some reason. Not really a big deal to me.

4. There are also NAS boxes with media players built in, but then you'd need to keep it near your entertainment center.

Let me know what you find, I've been looking into a couple different options myself.

6. Best buy recently had a media playing hard drive (Played mkv even) 1tb for like $99, even had an hdmi out.

It is surprisingly hard to find one of those that is networkable.

8. Build a headless box and put Windows Home Server on it.

I'm a Typical Macintosh User™ I'm not capable of building anything.

10. Correct response: Your mother's box is headless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!