Thread: XBCD driver help

1. XBCD driver help

I got a nice wired 360 controller for Christmas and it's plugged into my PC, working nicely enough with the standard drivers, but I'd like to upgrade to XBCD. I've followed the instructions, deleting my 360 drivers and unplugging/re-plugging the controller, but my Windows XP SP3 decides that it will automatically install the original MS drivers, not even giving me the option to search for the XBCD ones. No wizard, nothing.

I've tried updating the driver manually as well, but can't get Windows to recognize the driver. It's version 1.07, which as near as I can tell is the latest version. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, but Googling up an answer gets me nowhere. Any advice?

James

2. what's wrong with the ms drivers?

3. The L and R triggers are considered the up and down for the Z axis. One makes it go up, the other down. This means you can't use both at once, which isn't a common requirement but still not unheard of.

At first I figured I'd just install the driver for the hell of it, and the more it fought the more determined I got to put it in place. It's on the verge of becoming a holy quest at this point.

James

4. you might be able to just remove the original driver from the driver.cab file so that windows can't replace xbcd.

5. Ah, fuck I know I've had the same problem. And yeah, it took forever to fix. I'll let you know if I manage to dig up the site that I used to get my drivers working. I've been looking for a while now, no luck.

edit: by the way, this was one of the first pages I found: http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/guide.html
    You've probably seen it by now but I remember a site with a black background and red text, for whatever reason.

And I remember that restarting my computer at certain points in the installation helped, even though it wasn't listed in the instructions.
    Last edited by epmode; 04 Jan 2009 at 10:09 PM.

6. Try uninstalling the original MS ones and then reinstalling the XBCD ones while having your Ethernet cord unplugged. A lot of times XP likes to ping the MS servers for the drivers. Kill the source and you might be okay.

I also know MS had actually put updated drivers on Windows Update so you might want to shut off auto updating as well so it doesn't bother you after the fact. Really no reason to have auto update on anyway. 90% of the patches come on the 2nd Tuesday every month. The random critical ones can come whenever. Get in the habit of checking yourself if you don't already.
    Last edited by Dyne; 05 Jan 2009 at 02:46 PM.

7. hi, just incase you're still having problems on this:

1) install xbcd360 drivers and configuration suite,
    2) open device manager, find 360 controller entry,
    3) select "upgrade driver",
    4) go through the motions of telling it you'll find the driver yourself,
    5) select the XBCD driver in the window that eventually pops open (don't search windows update, choose location for driver/select from a list),
    6) enjoy XBCD driver for 360 controller

edit: bonus 7th step:

7) repeat 2-6 replacing XBCD with the official ms driver to switch back to it for GFWL games and such
    Last edited by cka; 05 May 2009 at 01:32 PM.