Page 1 of 43 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Mad Men

1. Mad Men

No Mad Men thread? Poor Form.

I started watching this last week, went through season 01 and am on the 2nd episode of season 02.

This show is the shit.

Oh, to live in a time when you could smoke in elevators, fuck around on your wife, sexually harass any woman, drink all day at work and still be a good man.

Watch it.

2. I'm a JR art director at an agency here in Toronto and the client facing issues on the job reminds me a lot of my own work. Just without all of the fun smoking. I am allowed to have alcohol in me on the job without issue. I designed an entire program promotion for Microsoft pretty far gone one day.

I marathon'd through the entire series to-date back in the summer before the season 3 premiere over a long weekend. (or was it season 2 premiere?) The setting is classy, but the writing is very adut and not dumbed-down and I appreciate that a lot. Sometimes you don't know or understand why people do things right off the bat until their character profile -- their true idiosyncrasies -- are revealed in later episodes. Might be the best shows on TV to date. But TV is good these days so it's really hard to say.

Peggy is fucking annoying.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 Jan 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Oh, to live in a time when you could smoke in elevators, fuck around on your wife, sexually harass any woman, drink all day at work and still be a good man.
    We were born 50 years too late. Now the pendulum's in the other direction.

4. I've been waiting for these DVD's to go on sale. Once they are, BUY BUY BUY.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

5. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    We were born 50 years too late. Now the pendulum's in the other direction.
    I'm on a one man mission to bring that shit back.

Most chicks, if they dig you, love it when you go assertive and take command. Some even like to be thought of as a possession, which has a bad connotation these days, though I would argue there's a gulf between possessive and possession, which I suppose speaks to the desire to be taken care of and have some security.

There's a prime scene in the last episode I saw, 2.3, I think, where D.Raper does it.

6. When Draper grabs her cooch at the restaurant. 100% badassness.

7. Exactly!

I was thinking. "Fuck. Yes."

8. I LOVE this show but I have only seen the first season. It makes me feel conflicted because while Draper is 100% man and makes me kinda hot, my indignation starts to kick in when the women are treated so shitty. On one hand it would be nice to have a guy in charge of everything; be man of the house and I cook, clean and give him lovin but I think I would get tired of it after awhile. The art direction and writing in this show is top notch. I wish women could still dress to the nines all the time, it looks so classy.

9. Quote Originally Posted by animegirl View Post
    I wish women could still dress to the nines all the time, it looks so classy.
    Exactly what is stopping you?

snap