Thread: The River of Doubt

1. The River of Doubt

My girlfriend, knowing my love of presidential history, got me this book for Christmas called The River of Doubt by Candace Millard. Without spoiling anything, it chronicles Teddy Roosevelt's feelings of emasculation and humiliation following his election loss in 1912 and the resulting near-suicide expedition he went on to re-establish his manhood by putting a legendary uncharted part of the Amazon on the map. He was a renowned naturalist and had always dreamed of making such a landmark discovery, which was another reason he went. Anyway, it's really an amazing book. Lots of detail about the deadly plants and animals in the Amazon, such as a parasitic worm that can ride up a man's urine stream into his urethra (usually resulting in either death or penis amputation at the time). Roosevelt ends up stranded, with no food or clean water, surrounded by deadly predators in the rainforest and suffering from several diseases. He almost kills himself. It's a must-read if you like Teddy Roosevelt or naturalist studies.

2. Along with Brazil's most famous explorer

Last edited by cka; 16 Mar 2009 at 06:34 AM.

3. I didn't notice this thread at the time, but that pig picture up there has made me really pay attention. I will track this book down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. i actually bought this book after Spo first mentioned it in the "what are you reading" thread.

It's a lot of fun!

5. Somehow this one slipped under my radar, but it sounds awesome and I seem to remember Spo and I having pretty similar taste in books.

I'm going to add it to the pile on my creaking, overburdened nightstand.

6. DACAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

7. D44cc44444zzz!!!! How've you been man?

8. Whattup bbobb and Spo.

Glad to see so many of the old gang is still here!
    Look out, man, Wooly's gone ape-shit.

omg
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery