Thread: Is my PC Dead or fixable?

1. Is my PC Dead or fixable?

I have a custom built PC from a friends uncle. Its running XP Pro on a P4 2.33ghz (or something like that) with 2GB Ram

I was home Friday and my parents were using the computer. I get a phone call Tuesday (yesterday) and they tell me computer isnt showing anything. So I go home to see what is wrong. Computer turns on but no status/power light on the tower. Monitor has no video and USB ports. When I first turn it on, the CD/DVD drives light up as if the computer is booting but thats it. I hear the fans running from the tower and video card. However, the computer did actually boot up but showed a socket fail? I couldnt read what the first letter was but it showed "..ocket fail..." and some words afterwards. I was able to go into SETUP mode but exited cuz I didnt see anything out of the ordinary. It booted up into Windows and I saw the desktop with AVG update and the bottom taskbar seemed frozen temporarily and went upstairs to my room thinking everything was OK. My gf was getting dinner ready and said that the computer screen was black. Tried to move the mouse thinking it went to sleep and nothing.

What could be the problem? I replaced the motherboard before because it constantly froze (northbridge or something snapped off due to poor soldering). This is the first time it has happened. I also noticed that ever since I replaced the MB, the DVD drive wouldnt burn DVDs.

Anyone in NY willing to take a look at it? I dont think any of us have anything important that we need and a fresh install of everything would be fine but if need be, we'll just have to buy a new computer.

I also noticed that once in a while, that the date and time would reset and pop up with an error. I assume there is a small watch battery on the Mobo? Could this be the problem?
    Last edited by bandit; 14 Jan 2009 at 10:08 AM.

2. A few observations:
    The cdrom light has nothing to do with the system booting. That's just part of the cdroms own internal startup sequence.
    Reinstalling software won't fix a hardware problem, which this apparently is.
    There's probably a CR2032 battery, about the size of a nickel, somewhere on the mobo that needs to be replaced.
    You should also reset the cmos when you change the battery. This is usually done by changing a jumper, cycling power, and then changing the jumper back t the way it was, but the pocess varies depending on the mobo.

Double check that everything connected too the mobo is properly seated and making good contact.
    Set your BIOS to default or failsafe settings if you still have problems.

3. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    A few observations:
    The cdrom light has nothing to do with the system booting. That's just part of the cdroms own internal startup sequence.
    Reinstalling software won't fix a hardware problem, which this apparently is.
    There's probably a CR2032 battery, about the size of a nickel, somewhere on the mobo that needs to be replaced.
    You should also reset the cmos when you change the battery. This is usually done by changing a jumper, cycling power, and then changing the jumper back t the way it was, but the pocess varies depending on the mobo.

Double check that everything connected too the mobo is properly seated and making good contact.
    Set your BIOS to default or failsafe settings if you still have problems.
    Thanks. I'm going to check on the CR2032 battery and reseat the RAM. I'll see if that works. If not, I'll than connect the monitor to the onboard video card. Last option would be to run the CD that my IT coworker gave me with Windows and all the utilities on it.

Also, I thought the battery is only for time and date. Would it really affect the whole computer in general?

4. Yes. Computers.... need rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. The battery also maintains your bios settings that are stored in the CMOS memory. If it dies, those settings will either reset to some default, or get corrupted and wreak havoc.

6. Ok. I got it working again. It was the stupid CR2032 battery. I had a hunch as it was giving me errors and making me reenter the time and date all over again.

7. TNL just saved you $500.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    TNL just saved you $500.
    A P4 computer is worth about $30.

9. I would hope that he wasn't going to replace a P4 with another P4.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I would hope that he wasn't going to replace a P4 with another P4.
    Nope. If it was the mobo, I would just go out and get a Core 2 Duo and a new tower from Dell or HP or something. Just something for my parents to use.

My sisters old HP Pavilion laptop is crapping out though. Dont know if its the HD or watch battery as well. I have to remove the keyboard just to see and I heard the battery is soldered on?

A coworker gave me a Windows Utility CD thats boots up Windows from it. When I have the time, going to run Windows from the CD without the harddrive and see if it shuts off on me. If so, its either battery or mobo. If it stays on, its probably HD. Need to get her more RAM too. Shes running on 384MB.