Page 19 of 1237 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: The Obama Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Let's pretend for a minute those figures are 100% accurate. Ignore the female votes and Obama still wins. Yoshi's point was that women voters gave Obama the win. Yoshi is, of course, wrong, because the electoral college gave Obama the win, and popular vote isn't necessarily indicitave of who gets the Presidency.
    The Electoral college is supposed to vote in line with the Popular vote.

For instance, if NJ's population votes for Obama (majority vote), then the NJ Electoral College should as well. The Electoral College is NOT supposed to vote haphazardly anyone in. That breaks the system.

The way you put it The Electoral College can do anything they want to, which is NOT the case.

Advocate
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    The Electoral college is supposed to vote in line with the Popular vote.
    Not exactly. You don't really understand the Electoral college do you?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm

Gore- 50,999,897, 48.38%
    Bush- 50,456,002, 47.87%

It was only 8 years ago. You can interpret it as someone screaming about a falling sky if you want, but all I'm saying is that small differences in the percentage (like, for example, the 1% in the example you seem incapable of discussing) can have odd results.

James

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Not exactly. You don't really understand the Electoral college do you?
    yeah I do actually.

Its a gentlemans agreement.

and to James ... Bush won the states with the highest electors. The years where theres discussion to changed the Electoral College are years where a Republican won.

advocate

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I voted for Obama because he was black. This was my main reason. fuck you bellyachers.
    Honestly why? Sure when ignorant whites see him they see a black man. But he was born just three years before the Civil Rights Act. He grew up in Hawaii and Indonesia. And his closest relationship to the descendants of the people we enslaved is through the white slaveholders on his mother's side.

Not to demean his plight; his parent's marriage stirred a lot of shit, no doubt, his grandmother confessed her own fear of black men in front of him, and I'm sure he's seen his fair share of discrimination outside of that. But face it, 1960-70's middle-class Hawaii was a cakewalk compared to the horror stories my own relatives have passed on from the first half of the last century south.

I mean I don’t know what the fuck I’m saying. I’m English, I’m as closely tied to this shit as Obama is -- through some dirty rich Mick six generations back on my mom’s side.

Maybe someone who’s actually black can comment on whether Barack Obama’s win was a win for the black man.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. and to James ... Bush won the states with the highest electors.
    Well yeah, obviously. That was my whole point.

James

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Well yeah, obviously. That was my whole point.

James
    what was your point? seriously. You hate the Electoral College? We all do.

But the USA is not a true democracy. The USA is a Democratic Republic. We elect people to represent us. The people we vote in are SUPPOSED to represent our individual ideals. But we don't go to Washington to represent ourselves, cause the founding fathers believed the common man was too stupid to understand the ongoing problems of the country. Also, the official statement is that we the people have to tend to the land, and manufacture goods. If we were to all go and represent ourselves the country would collapse in a matter of days. The Electoral College basically legitimizes that ideal.

Do I personally hate the EC? Yup. Can we do anything about it? Yup amend it. Are the current amendments up in the Senate worth it? Kinda.

Advocate
    Last edited by Advocate; 27 Jan 2009 at 12:55 AM.

8. Technically, the electorial college doesn't have to vote in line with the states popular vote - Faithless elector. Depending on the state, there may be penalties for it but you can still do it.

Your Friend,

Doc Holliday
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Technically, the electorial college doesn't have to vote in line with the states popular vote - Faithless elector. Depending on the state, there may be penalties for it but you can still do it.

Your Friend,

Doc Holliday
    Currently, no elector has done it. Can it be done? sure. Would I like it to happen? sure.

Advocate

ps: why does James still do this?

Advocate

10. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Maybe someone who’s actually black can comment on whether Barack Obama’s win was a win for the black man.
    They have. Lots in fact.
    Boo, Hiss.